Saturday, July 11, 2015

Hot Bread In A Hurry

 
Mayonnaise Biscuits

My mother was famous for her biscuits. But not in a good way. She was a wonderful cook. Just not when making biscuits. My mother-in-law, however, could bake biscuits that nearly floated up off the plate. She baked them twice a day for many years. There was no recipe. After baking thousands of them, she didn't need one. Nothing was measured. Just a few ingredients tossed together and mixed with her hands. I take after my mother and have never baked a really good biscuit.

Thankfully, there are other ways to get hot biscuits on the table. When Little Sister and Baby Girl were here, I made these mayonnaise biscuits one night, because I had the ingredients on hand. It was hard to get to the grocery store with them in tow, so I found myself pulling out old recipes that were super simple.

This recipe came from my grandmother. (I think the recipe was widely passed around in the 1970s, but we got the recipe from her.) That right there should be validation that they are good. However, they are not exactly biscuits. Or muffins. Just think of it as hot bread! And her "measurement" of the mayo was not level tablespoons. She just used a tablespoon from her flatware drawer and stirred in 2 or 3 big dollops.


This is so quick and easy. I made these again just after we got home from the lake tonight and wondered what I could find for supper. A big salad and hot bread made it looked like I had planned dinner. (Daddy-O thinks I'm a genius. He figured take-out pizza was our only hope.)



MAYONNAISE BISCUITS

2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup milk
2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise (big spoonfuls--not level)

Mix all ingredients together. Spoon into greased muffin tins.
Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes.

Makes 12 biscuits/muffins.
(Divide in half if you are a small household like us.)

These are best eaten hot.

If you dislike mayonnaise, you cannot taste it in here at all. 






  

4 comments:

  1. I love hot biscuits. Hot biscuits plus ANYTHING is a meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned years ago that if I put hot bread (from a can, from a mix, it didn't matter) with a meal that was less than stellar, my family was happy.

      Delete
  2. You ARE a genius and it does look like you planned dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, aren't you kind? The other "secret" is to take whatever you can scrape together for supper and arrange it on the plate so that it looks special.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.