Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Happy Birthday, Sweet Girl!


Today is Little Sister's 6th birthday. That's her sweet baby face you see on the blog title at the top of the page, but she's a baby no more. We celebrated a few days ago (so it wasn't on a school night) with their family. For years, in that household there have been beautiful cakes, baked by bakers who have been successful in television competitions. Wonderfully delicious, gorgeous cakes. But this year Little Sister asked her daddy to bake her birthday cake. Her daddy is not known for his baking. This was the third cake he's ever made—all using this same recipe.

It was the first time I've been around to taste one of his cakes. And let me tell you, it was absolutely delicious. Little Sister, with a smile big enough to light up New York, announced, "This is the BEST birthday cake ever!" So it's not about the perfect decorations. It's about having it baked by someone who loves you. When she was here for our "camp" she asked me what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday (she likes to plan ahead) and then told me, "My daddy will bake you a caramel cake." I might take up Little Sister's offer.

The cake recipe came from my Aunt Betty. It's just a good basic yellow cake. My mother used it for years to bake birthday cakes for us, but usually with chocolate frosting. So if caramel isn't your thing, hang onto the cake recipe and frost it however you want to. I've used it with strawberries and whipped cream for strawberry shortcake. You can bake it in a 9x13-inch pan (my mother's choice) or cupcakes, as well as layers. Just about as easy as cake mix, but with a homemade taste.

Birthday cake baked with love by her daddy.

QUICK & EASY CAKE

2 cups self-rising flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 cup milk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla 

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Beat until well mixed.  This can be baked in layers or 13x9x2 pan. (Greased and floured, of course; or use baking spray.) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden brown and top springs back when lightly touched.

QUICK CARAMEL FROSTING

2/3 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
1/3 cup milk
3 cups powdered sugar (sifted)

In a saucepan over low heat add butter--melt. Add brown sugar--stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add milk--stir and cook while you bring it to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and let it cool for 10 minutes. Slowly add powdered sugar while stirring--keep stirring until thick enough to use as frosting.

(I used a wire whisk to add in the powdered sugar until it got thick and then I switched to a heavy spoon.  This frosting hardens, so ice your cake quickly.) 



If you are a newer reader, let me tell you that this blog exists because of Little Sister. When she was born and her mommy went back to work, I kept her every day, for nearly a year. I started this blog a few months after she was born to provide a record of our time together and to provide a creative outlet for me while most of my days were spent with a tiny baby who wasn't much of a conversationalist.

The blog has evolved over the years and will continue to do so, I'm sure. Life changes and demands that we change with it. Thank you, dear readers, for letting me share with you some of the things that I enjoy.





4 comments:

  1. You have made this cake for the Yesterukes and is the best caramel cake I have ever eaten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We love this recipe. And if her daddy can bake it, anyone can!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've ever had a carmel cake. Sounds interesting. But, that her daddy made it is such a sweet part of the story. Good for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caramel cake is a Southern favorite. We love our sweets down here!

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.