Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Boneyard Shawl

Pattern:  Boneyard Shawl, by Stephen West
Yarn:  Rowan Felted Tweed, colorway Rage
Needles:  size 8

Halloween will be here soon, so it's appropriate that the shawl I finished last week is called "Boneyard Shawl." (It's free if you're on Ravelry. If you are a knitter and you're not on Ravelry, you should be.)  It is elegant in it's simplicity. As a knitter, it is fun to see how far your skills will take you and there is a tendency to choose gorgeous, intricate lace shawl patterns. But this most basic shawl—or we could just call it "plain"—is one I'll wear often. Not a bit fussy, it can be thrown on when it's a jeans kind of day. It will also work with a dress when I'm going to church. I'm always cool at church.



There is also virtue in having a simple knit on the needles. Those lovely lace patterns require focus and attention. Sometimes life doesn't allow that kind of knitting. This was always waiting for me to pick it up and work a few rows when I wanted busy hands, but not a busy mind.


I learned a new bind off for this one. When I first learned to knit a hundred years ago, there was just one bind off. So I thought. I did an edge that reminded me of taking potholders off that little red metal loom. (Take off two loops. Pull the second one you removed up through the first loop. Take off the next loop and pull up through the first loop. Repeat to end.) 

Since then, I've discovered there are many ways to bind off your knitting. Stable bind-offs. Stretchy bind-offs. Fancy picot bind-offs. And there are variations within those categories. This is about the easiest bind-off I've tried when I want a stretchy edge. Here I am—knitting in one hand, camera in the other—working the bind-off. I searched Google for "stretchy bind off" and found this tutorial. (Her explanation is better than mine, but I wanted to try my hand at step-by-step photos.)

Knit 2 stitches together thought the back loop. 

I didn't think about making photos when I started. This photo is several inches into the bind off, but this is exactly how you start from the beginning. Just knit 2 stitches together though the back loops.

Slide this stitch back onto left needle.

This was my first time using this stretchy bind off. I've done a similar one for years, but for some reason it didn't look right this time. I did a couple of inches of that one and took it out and tried this one. Success!

Then you're ready to 'knit 2 together through back loop."

I wanted a stretchy bind off for this shawl. Before I blocked it, the top edge measured 65 inches. After a good soak and a stretch and pinning it out to dry, it measured 74 inches. A better fit for me.

Knit 2 stitches together through the back loop. Slide that stitch back on left needle.

Continue doing this until you reach the last stitch. Then pull the yarn tail though that last stitch. For the record, I knit English style, working yarn in my right hand. But here, I was holding the camera.

Bound off stitches.

Here is what the bound off stitches look like. Sleek. Stretchy. It was exactly what I needed to complete this project.  It's good to have choices of techniques. Choosing the right one can give your knitting a more polished look. And after all the time I've spent making something, I don't want to mess it up at the end,

Finished edge.


Now that I'm finished with this project, I get to decide what to make next. Socks? Hat? Sweater? Blanket? So many good options. Stay tuned to see what I choose.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end. ~Seneca


Knitter's note: l took this to the city last weekend and wore it every day. That's a lot of bang for my buck! (of knitting time)


6 comments:

  1. I Really enjoy your blog
    I look forward to it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that pattern. It takes care of the center at the neckline properly. Some other patterns do not (my opinion) and there can be a little "V" rather than a smooth arc. Pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Christine! Welcome. I'm glad that you find things here that you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. goodnightgram, as you well know, there are multiple patterns with awkward beginnings. I've made more than one. And I don't know enough about pattern design to know why that happens. This one is a lovely pattern. I also love that the increases down the spine do not have the "holes" that come with yarn over increases. Mine are usually kind of wonky when done that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful color! I agree - I often wear a shawl even indoors at home when I get chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barb, I love having a shawl handy to wrap around my shoulders when I'm cool. We had the little girls out for dinner last night and Little Sister wore short sleeves and got cold before we were done. I wrapped my shawl around her a couple of times and tied it in the back. She loved it! Then Baby Girl cried because she didn't have a shawl. Next time I'll take extras!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.