Saturday, December 9, 2017

Soup's Good For You


There is a little snow falling outside. (Very little, but it doesn't take much to get us excited.) The Christmas tree is lit. Flames are flickering in the fireplace. Bread is rising on the kitchen counter. There is a Hallmark movie on TV. (The Christmas Train—recorded so I can fast forward through the commercials.) And my nose is itchy and tingly and my throat is raw. Bummer.


So as soon as the movie is over, I'm making chicken noodle soup for lunch. I heard a doctor on the morning news today explain why chicken soup really is good for a cold. And I have a rotisserie chicken in the refrigerator waiting for a recipe. The doctor also said that parsley is a good cold fighter and I have some of that on hand, too, so I'll chop a little up and toss it in the pot.


This soup is nearly as easy as heating up canned soup. But it is oh so much better. Hang on to this recipe. Winter isn't even here yet but cold season is. You might need this recipe before winter is over.



CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
  
1 (32-oz.) box of chicken broth (I use low-sodium broth)
1 carrot, peeled and sliced (I like to quarter the carrot lengthwise first)
1 stalk celery, diced
½ cup uncooked medium egg noodles
1 cup cubed cooked chicken
pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Mix broth, carrot, celery, and pepper in saucepan.  Heat to a boil.  Stir in noodles and chicken.  Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until noodles are done. Stir in fresh parsley at the end. 

Serves 4


This soup might not cure anything but it surely won't hurt. And it tastes good. It only takes a few minutes to make. Depends on how quickly you can slice and dice the vegetables. But, goodness—it's only one carrot and one celery stalk!  






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this one. I’ve got a husband down and out! And The Christmas Train was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, in addition to the soup, I've used Zicam, Emergen-C and a lot of tissues. And I'll bet in 7-10 days I'll be well!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.