Thursday, May 17, 2018

Wedding Weekend Goodies

Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, Milk Chocolate Cookie Bars,
& Ooey Gooey Butter Cake Bars

Near the end of the wedding dinner dance, the bride and groom borrowed the mic from the band, and addressed their wedding guests. Sweet, heartfelt words that made everyone smile and go "awww..." and made a few guests shed a tear. Jessica said she was happy to have new "bonus parents." What a lovely phrase to use instead of the typical word "in-laws."


We were all happy that both families could spend some comfortable time together in those long hours before the wedding ceremony. Let's be honest. The lead-up to any wedding is stressful. Thankfully, our stress was more of the high energy, eager anticipation kind. While hair and make-up was being done on the wedding day morning, excited chatter and lots of laughter filled the cottage as we got to know each other better.


The bridesmaids, three from each family, quickly became one family. They paired up, finding new best friends. Baby Girl, age 4, was nearly inseparable from the 5-year-old niece of the groom. Little Sister, age 7, felt very grown up as she buddied up with "that middle girl" who is 9. Little Sister understands being a middle sister. The biggest age spacing was between the two oldest, but I was happy to hear Big Sister giving words of advice to the oldest of the groom's nieces as they talked about school.


The new mother-in-law (or "bonus mother" as Jessica put it), being very thoughtful, sent us a huge tin of baked goodies to enjoy during the weekend. This resort was like a village, with lots of colorful cottages where guests stay. The cookie tin made it from her cottage to the groom's blue cottage. He was in the process of delivering it to us when his sister spied it and mistakenly took it back to their big family cottage.

The almost mother-in-law, who baked these goodies, was unaware that this red tin was still traveling from cottage to cottage—but had not made it to us. She asked me at the rehearsal dinner if we had enjoyed the cookies, I had heard that she had baked something for us, so I mumbled some generic words of thanks. The next morning the new bonus mom arrived at our brown cottage for hair and makeup, with a big red cookie tin in her hands. She thrust it forward and laughed, "I wondered why I got that underwhelmed response last night when I asked about the cookies. I DIDN'T KNOW you didn't have them!"

Well, those goodies were wonderful! And delicious! And appreciated! And we gave proper thanks to the baker. We nibbled before the wedding. But when we got back to our cottage after the wedding, at nearly midnight, they were devoured. I knew by the time I went to bed, there were two left. The morning after the wedding, I was up early and headed for my coffee and those last two cookies. And I was greatly disappointed to see that someone beat me to them.

I settled for the crumbs. And asked for the recipes. I still have that red tin, so I can fill it up again. But I'm sure the next batch won't be nearly as good as what we enjoyed during that wedding weekend. Those cookies got an extra measure of love mixed in with the butter and sugar.

Every flavor was someone's favorite. The Ooey Gooey Butter Cake was my personal pick. And, lucky for me, the easiest to make. You've got time to make these for your royal wedding viewing this weekend. Pair them with a cup of tea and you can pretend you're a guest at the royal wedding,....while watching it on TV in your pajamas!

OOEY GOOEY BUTTER CAKE BARS

1 box yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup butter (16 tbsp), melted, divided
1 (8-oz) block of full-fat cream cheese, softened to room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine cake mix, 1 egg, and 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) of butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth Beat remaining 2 eggs. Add the beaten eggs, vanilla and remaining 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) butter and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well until all is incorporated.

Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake batter. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. make sure not to over bake as the center should be a little bit gooey—but not so gooey that they completely fall apart. Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Dust with a little extra powdered sugar before serving.



For the record, 1 cup of butter is 2 sticks. Look on the butter wrapper. Each stick is 8 oz.






5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you...I just caught up on your blog after hearing about you on the Knitting Pipeline podcast. This is such a sweet way to gather up all of these grandmother memories and an amazing way to share with friends and family. I used your quick and easy cake recipe frosted with chantilly cream and fresh berries and it was a bit hit for birthday week for my son/nephew/mom all this week. Thank you for being so generous with sharing your recipes and glimpses into your grandmother gig..it is absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I'm glad you like it here. Sounds like you totally get why I do this. And the Quick & Easy Cake? It's my favorite.

      Delete
  2. "Bonus mother" is a lovely description! And I am going to be watching the royal wedding and probably with a cup of tea (or two) and I might have to try the recipe you shared! Congrats on the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gram! Then we'll be watching together, both of us with a cup of tea.

      Delete
  3. Oh yeah...ooy gooey bars are one of my top favorite desserts!

    I enjoy your description of the wedding...sounded beautiful, loving and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.