Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Christmas Count-Down


Pattern: Sock Recipe: A Good Plain Sock, by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Yarn:  Lollipop Yarn Quintessential, Christmas Carol colorway
Needles: size 1-1/2

Are you a member of my tribe? The tribe that slides into Christmas hoping that everything is done? I do know people who are so organized that everything is completed by Thanksgiving. All gifts bought and wrapped. Menus made. Freezer stocked. 

That is not me. I wish it was, but I'm not made that way. Now that you know that, you'll understand that this is likely my last blog post until after Christmas. There is still much to do. And my list is mostly in my head. (Maybe I should write it down?)

Wooden reindeer made by my dad years ago.

On the up side, I finished my Christmas socks last night. A whole WEEK before Christmas. The plan is to wear these with my green plaid pajamas on Christmas morning. And the couple of hand knitted gifts are done. The house is decorated—in my "less is more" style.


I finished the angel costume and got to see our little angel sing in her preschool concert. 200 adorable costumed little people all lined up on risers, singing their hearts out. So much excitement.

Now I'm reading the book.

We've entered a new stage of life. The one where our grown children have to split their holidays between families. I totally understand that. So we had the newlyweds here for this past weekend and went to see Hamilton with them. What a treat! And they will be back for New Years. Can't complain.

The other family (with the grandchildren) arrives this weekend. That means I have a few days left to tie up loose ends. To madly practice music. (Mommy is singing a solo at church on Christmas Eve, with me accompanying her. Not much pressure there. ) To make a menu plan and a grocery list to get us through Christmas. Then I'll regroup and shop again for the post-Christmas week.


I love that this nativity set is the first thing I see as I walk in the front door. It's a reminder that the very first Christmas didn't require extravagant decorations, huge meals, lots of baking, or mad shopping sprees. That first Christmas was simple. It was messy. It wasn't carefully organized. (A baby born in a barn?) It was filled with uncertainty. And it blessed the world.

Hand lettering—my new hobby.

My wish for you is that you find some empty spaces in this coming week to just "be." To breathe, to appreciate, to contemplate. To have a cup of coffee in front of the tree in the morning quiet before the day gets started. To walk outside, even if it's just in your yard. Find some Christmas calm. It's there somewhere. 


Merry Christmas to you all!

Luke 2:8-14  (KJV)

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. 12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. 13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, 14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.








4 comments:

  1. Great socks! Just stopping by to wish you a Merry Christmas and Blessed New Year. goodnightgram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing a wonderful New Year!! Thank yoi for all you share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for spending a little time here.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.