Monday, January 28, 2019

Kitchen's Open Again

New bull in our pasture

You probably think I've quit cooking. Daddy-O would likely agree with you. But on Saturday night I made supper while Daddy-O was out in the pasture. There's a new bull out there, hopefully getting acquainted with the cows.

I cooked a big pot of stew beef for my cattle ranching husband. Enough for him to have next weekend while I'm away knitting. And I tried a new Instant Pot recipe I saw on Instagram this week. A savory rice and vegetable dish. 

The recipe called for basmati rice. Now, I live in the country. A rural area. Our nearest store is small town store. So I crossed my fingers when I shopped and hoped I could find this  exotic sounding rice. Well, the store did sell it but that bit of shelf was empty. (Who are these gourmet cooks that grocery shop in my little town?) They were restocking that aisle but when I asked if they were about to unpack the basmati, they checked and told me the truck they were unloading was huge. And the rice was likely in the middle of it. So the next morning we made a second trip to Food Lion and bought basmati rice.

On the way out of the store, Daddy-O asked me why basmati was any different from our regular long-grain rice. And I couldn't tell him. I knew that jasmine rice was sticky. And I knew that risottos call for arborio rice. But other than remembering basmati is a fragrant rice, I could not answer him. When I grew up, the only rice we knew was Comet long-grain white rice. My, how times have changed.

But basmati is what the recipe called for. And the first time around I wasn't about to tinker with the basic ingredient. As we were turning into our driveway, I had a terrible thought. I should have checked the box of mushrooms in my refrigerator. They had been there a while. This rice recipe called for fresh mushrooms, too. Sadly, those mushrooms ended up going in the trash instead of the rice dish. I thought about making a THIRD trip to the store. But we live a long way from town. So this time I made the rice without mushrooms. And it was delicious. Mushrooms would only make it better.

Savory Instant Pot Rice & Veggies

SAVORY INSTANT POT RICE & VEGGIES (for 6-qt. pot)
     ~from Meal Plan Addict

2 cups uncooked basmati rice
3 cups water
3 tbsp Better than Bouillon, beef flavor (or 3 c. beef broth)
1 cup chopped fresh green beans (1 inch pieces)
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup frozen peas

Select the SAUTÉ button and pour the water and beef-flavor Better Than Bouillon into the liner. This will allow it to dissolve and make a broth. (If you choose to use beef broth instead. You don't need the sauté step.)

Add the remaining ingredients and stir the mixture. Secure the lid to the Instant Pot, set to sealing, and press the RICE button. This will auto set to 12 minutes of low pressure. 

When the pressure cycle is complete, quick release the pressure. Fluff the rice with a fork, and enjoy!


If you haven't used Better Than Boullion, it's worth seeking it out. The flavor is richer and more complex than a bullion cube. My small town store stocks it so you shouldn't have any trouble finding it. It's with the soups and broths. At my store, it's on the top shelf. And it comes in a crazy array of flavors. I have only tried the beef, so if you try the others. you're on your own!

Someone asked me last week if I liked my Instant Pot. I think my answer was something to the effect that if mine broke, I didn't think I'd buy a replacement. (I have enjoyed using it and found some good recipes, but don't consider it essential to my kitchen.) But this rice recipe may have changed my mind. It was really good.

Please go to the original source and read more about cooking this rice recipe in the instant pot. I can't wait to make it again. WITH the mushrooms!









2 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks delish!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to ask you if you thought that the instant pot was worth it's counter space, but you seem to have answered my question. They seem so popular, but I'm not sure that I'd use it more that once or twice out of curiosity.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.