Saturday, March 2, 2019

Friendship


I got home last night from the annual "beach girls" trip. We qualify for the term "girls" only by gender, no longer by age. But "beach girls" we shall be forever. Trips like this are how friendships move from casual and to close to dear. Early morning quiet conversations in pajamas with a cup of coffee in hand give us opportunities to share. Truths are easier to speak without the filters of makeup and jewelry, maybe because we are more vulnerable. 

We are such a mix. We hold different views of the world. Our ages span more than a decade. We have varied backgrounds. Some of us want our food spicy, others like it mild. When we leave the beach house, some of us are decked out in beautifully coordinated outfits while others—like me—throw on a pair of jeans and a turtleneck and declare it enough. We have the good sense to avoid political discussions. And the differences matter not one bit.  

It takes years for bonds like these to grow and deepen. Although I've known a few of these ladies for 40 years, I'm newer to this beach trip mix than some. But they have made me feel like I belong. If you have friends like this, consider yourself blessed. It is nice to be included.  Being "included" is a validation of our worth. Thanks to whoever said years ago, "Let's invite her to come. She might be good company."


A picture of victory.

What do we do in our days away? Besides eat? That seems to be number one on the list. Eating in. Eating out. Snacking in between meals. We end one meal with a conversation about where we will have the next meal. I love it. 

As of this year, we are all knitters. The last non-knitter of this group learned to knit on this trip. Knitting is a great activity for a group. And for binge watching a favorite TV show (800 Words.) The more experienced knitters help the newer ones. We are never too old to learn. 

Why is there a picture of a yarn ball posted above? That is a photo of triumph. I should have made a "before" photo of the tangled mess that it was. It was truly, without a doubt, the biggest, worst, most impossible tangle of yarn I have ever seen. I'm not even sure how it was possible to do that. But not wanting a newer knitter to give up on her first significant project, I volunteered to untangle it. I'll admit I didn't think it would be so hard. I've untangled lots of yarn. But this nearly defeated me. 

About four hours of serious focus and utterances of frustration and maybe some help from the knitting gods, the yarn was useable again. Another beach girl and I got the mess of yarn rewound into a beautiful ball so this newer knitter could start again. This photo is also a picture of patience and perseverance. This is what friends do for each other.

It was a wonderful few days away, but I was happy to wake up in my own bed this morning and have Daddy-O bring me coffee. Life is good.






4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely time. I would have volunteered to untangle the yarn ball, too. I have been an untangler since grade school. I helped kids with their badly tangled necklace chains regularly, then moved on to yarn. It taught me patience. But looking at your pic of the yarn, you had a big project to undo! Good on you for helping the new knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a group of friends like this. We try to travel together at least once a year. We're all so different, though we all were teachers. We laugh and chat and (yes!) eat. Our group is usually out on a hike for most of the day though one of us who has bad knees stays behind to read. The untangled ball of yarn is a good metaphor for friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter has a group like that. They are the envy of everyone else they know. My sister can't knit but she also loves to untangle. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pork chops were great. Chloe

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.