Friday, April 26, 2019

Music Makers Dinner

Carol's Marinated Veggies

A few weeks ago, I was invited to a friend's house to sit in with a jam. It's a monthly jam session of all women who play old time music. I don't play old time music, but it sounded like fun. And I know how to listen and follow chords changes. And I know not to play too loudly when I don't know the music. Jam sessions are all about good manners. I told her I'd love to come.


I asked my friend to remind me when the time came. So she sent me three numbered reminders as the days counted down. It's been busy around here and those multiple reminders were appreciated. The day before the jam I got the final reminder. And I told her I planned to be there and asked if I should bring anything. She told me it was pot luck but not to worry. There was always plenty of food.


Now, it's not in my DNA to show up empty handed. I had just cooked a meal for my Monday night friends so I wanted something quick and easy to make for this musical gathering. Plus, my friend is vegan and I wanted something she could eat. Then I remembered a marinated vegetable salad that another friend is famous for. Quick to stir together. Vegan. (I think.) And it pretty much goes with anything. 

I had no clue what kind of food these musicians would bring. It turns out it was an all salad night. My bowl of colorful veggies sat proudly in the lineup that included tabouli, chickpea salad, mixed greens and a delicious turnip salad. Turnips stood in for potatoes to make a low-carb salad.


After sharing a meal, we settled in for a night of music making. It's been quite a while since I have played like this. I was happy that I could keep up with these lively tunes. There was also a little singing. And a lot of fun. 

My dinner of assorted salads.

The last time I made this salad, I remember thinking maybe I could use less sugar in the marinade. I know I love how Carol makes it, so I texted her to ask if she used the 3/4 cup of sugar in the marinade. That's what the recipe called for. I told her that I think hers is always better than mine. Here is her reply:
Sometimes I do and sometimes I don’t. I don’t stick to recipes very well. I do drain and rinse all canned veggies. Use dark red kidney beans. Have been using small butter beans lately instead of edamame beans. Sometimes use canned corn.  I’m sure yours is just as good, though.
Daddy-O asked to taste this as I was packing up to leave. "You can make this for us anytime." Luckily for him, I brought back leftovers. 

CAROL'S MARINATED VEGGIES

1 (15.5 oz.) can light red kidney beans
1 (15.5 oz.) can black beans
1 (6.5 oz.) can mushroom stems & pieces
1 (8 oz.) can sliced water chestnuts (I cut into smaller pieces)
1 (2 oz. ) jar diced pimento
frozen white corn (amount about equal to the kidney beans)
frozen green peas (amount about equal to the kidney beans)
1 bag frozen shelled edamame beans, cooked according to package directions
1 rib celery, finely chopped, optional (I used this)

1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2  to 3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Drain and rinse canned vegetables. Cook and cool edamame beans. In a large bowl, mix drained beans, pimento, mushrooms, and water chestnuts. 

Combine oil, vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. When cool, pour over vegetables and refrigerate. Vegetables will keep in refrigerator for up to two weeks.


Yes, you add the corn and peas frozen. No cooking. I did cut the slices of water chestnuts into smaller pieces. I'm sure if there is something that you don't like here, you can leave it out






1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun to be with a group that loves music! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.