Monday, July 29, 2019

Summer Salad Supper

Chickpea Salad in the center

A friend walked up to the deli counter just as they were scooping up my chicken salad. "Do you like that?" she asked. I told her that it wasn't as good as my own, but when I factored in I didn't have to make it or clean anything up, it was pretty darn good. Then I added some potato salad to my order, and finished my grocery shopping.

Just before supper time tonight I still wasn't sure what we were having. I had bought the deli salads to have on hand for lunches this week. Snap decision...we would have a salad supper. I did make one new salad recipe that I've wanted to try for a few weeks. I had everything here to do it, thanks to a friend who sent me home several days ago with garden tomatoes. 

This friend spearheads our church's "giving garden." She, along with a team of others, plant, work and harvest a vegetable garden right outside our church's backdoor. The produce primarily goes to our food pantry so that those in need of food will get some fresh vegetables in the summer. But there have been so many tomatoes that she could share the excess with others—including me.

This chickpea salad was quick to make and a healthy option. Nice to have in the fridge to put beside a sandwich. (It's 1 FreeStyle point for 1 cup if you're counting WW...if you make it like she's written the recipe.) 

Do you know how to seed a tomato? The easiest way is to cut off the stem end and cut a skinny slice of the other end. Cut the tomato in half crosswise. Then use your well-scrubbed fingers and push the seeds out of each section. It only takes minutes. Then you can dice the rest of the tomato. There are other ways. You can find them on Google.


This recipe is from Skinny Girl. Her website is loaded with lots of good recipes. My daughters and I have used many of them and count her as one of our reliable sources.

CHICKPEA SALAD

2-1/4 cups chopped cucumber. (I used the mini cukes and didn't peel)
1 cup diced, seeded tomato (about 1 medium)
1/4 cup diced red onion
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 (15-oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley (I only had dried, so sprinkled a little over)

Mix all ingredients well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until time to serve.


Next time I think I'll use vinegar instead of lemon juice for a little more zip. Worth a try. And I did add a little more salt before I put the leftovers in the fridge. It was good just like the it's written, but you can jazz it up to suit you.


My cooking might be lagging behind because I am determined to finish this Mount Juliet Shawl. It was our Ireland retreat project. Not really a difficult pattern, but while I was not feeling well, it was really hard to concentrate. And I must have taken out nearly as much as I knitted because of mistakes. It was a really slow go. (I think the doctor could do a knitting test for me to see how sick I am!) Thankfully these last few days it's become much easier. The end is in sight. That means I'm feeling much better.

Summer sunrise out our back door.












1 comment:

  1. The salad looks yummy and the shawl is beautiful. I think you will love wearing it once it is finished. Chloe

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.