Monday, December 16, 2019

Easy Hot Fudge Sauce

Hot Fudge Sauce

Need a dessert in a hurry during this busy season? You can certainly dash to the store or bakery and purchase something. And sometimes that is the very best option. Or....you can make hot fudge sauce to spoon over bought ice cream. Sort of a compromise. A little bit homemade if that makes you feel better. That's exactly what I did for our book club supper last week. 

This recipe came from Bon Appétit magazine many long years ago. And it has never failed me. It's been quite some time since a made it. But if you have the ingredients on hand—mostly staples—it can be ready in a jiffy.


Four ingredients if you don't count the water. And about ten minutes to prepare. It's a recipe worth having during this busy holiday season. It's also good in the summer time when it's hot out and everyone wants ice cream.


A few minutes of stirring and the mixture goes from lumpy and bubbly to silky smooth. You can store the sauce in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it. If it's for treats at your own house, you can reheat a small amount in the microwave for a single serve portion.


I can never remember how many squares of chocolate make one ounce. I know. I know. I could do the math. Or, since it's a 4-oz box, I could break the chocolate bar into four even pieces and use three of them. But it's also written on the package. If you can find it. It's kind of like "Where's Waldo?" There is so much written on the back of the box, it took me forever to see it. 

If you serve it too hot, it melts over the ice cream.

Since I had not made it in a couple of years, I needed a taster to make sure it was good enough to serve to my friends. Daddy-O was happy to volunteer. And then volunteer again to lick the spoon.

HOT FUDGE SAUCE

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
½ cup water
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoon light corn syrup (such as Karo)

Melt butter with water in a small saucepan over medium heat; then bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Add chocolate and let melt, stirring occasionally.  (Do not be concerned if mixture lumps at this point.)
Add sugar and corn syrup and let boil gently for 5 minutes.  
Serve warm. Or hot. You can decide if you like hot sauce that melts the cold ice cream a little. Or, warm sauce that gets chewy on the ice cream. I like it all.


If you want a Christmas dessert, spoon the sauce over vanilla ice cream, then sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies, and tuck a sprig of mint into the side. Sometimes I add a tiny red and white striped candy cane instead of the crushed candy. And if you're really want it to be festive, look for the Peppermint Stick ice cream at Publix. It's a seasonal flavor and one of my favorite Christmas treats. I bought two cartons as soon as I saw it around Thanksgiving. 

My always willing taste tester.

There are busy days ahead. Blog posts for the next few weeks might be sparse. So just in case we don't meet here on the blog (you are likely as busy as I am) until after Christmas, let me take a minute now to send you my holiday wishes. I wish that...
                         that you enjoy the season,
                         that you get most of the things on your list checked off
                         that you will not worry about what doesn't get done, 
                         that you take time to look at the Christmas stars one night,
                         that you can spend time with people you care about,
             and during this holiday season that can be both joyful and difficult, 
                                                 my wish is 
                         that you will remember to be kind to yourself.








4 comments:

  1. Yummy! Good wishes for a very merry Christmas! Love and joy come to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the same wishes for you. I am determined to take time this week to savor the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Diane! A great recipe for the Season! Love the crushed peppermints idea. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recipe and for all you shared this year! Happy New Year!! May you have many blessings!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.