Monday, September 14, 2020

Last Of The Summer Tomatoes

Tomato Bruschetta


Actually I'm not sure if the tomatoes are winding down or not. The rest of the garden has nearly fizzled out. We are getting one or two okra pods at a time. Still a couple of cucumbers every few days. The occasional pepper is found. The squash is gone. But the little grape tomatoes are hanging in there. We might still have these little jewels until frost. Time will tell.


I have used them in so many ways. All good. I've made the pasta with tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella about once a week. I've sliced them into salads. I'm marinated them with the garden cucumbers in balsamic vinegar (dark or white) with a good shake of whatever seasoning blend is at hand. I've skewered them with fresh basil and mozzarella balls and drizzled them with seasoned olive oil. I've made salsa. I've slow roasted them more than once and stashed some in the freezer. I've even lined up tiny slices on sandwiches. A little hard to eat but tasty.


And then one more recipe came across my computer screen. It was so simple. Slice the tomatoes and sliver the fresh basil. (We are also loaded with basil in the garden.) Add a little olive oil, salt and pepper. And scoop onto grilled bread. Oh. My. Goodness. It tastes like summer.


When I got home with my grocery order pickup I discovered they had made a rare mistake. My order included a container of grape tomatoes that I didn't order. MORE tomatoes! But these happened to be assorted colors. I doubt it would really affect the taste, but the yellow and dark red tomatoes mixed with our red ones did make a beautiful photo.



This was the most delightful light lunch for two on the screened porch. Sometimes it's hard to beat simplicity. I'm now looking forward to making it again—soon—for an appetizer. It was absolutely delicious.

TOMATO BRUSCHETTA

grape or cherry tomatoes
fresh basil leaves
extra virgin olive oil
salt
freshly ground black pepper
Italian loaf or other sturdy bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices

Cut tomatoes into halve and/or quarters. Slice fresh basil leaves into fine slivers. Stir tomatoes and basil together in a bowl and sprinkle with olive oil, then salt and pepper. Toss to mix. Set aside while grilling bread.

Heat a cast iron skillet (or other heavy skillet) over medium-high heat. Brush bread slices with olive oil. Grill bread in hot pan, both sides, until golden brown. Spoon tomato mix onto grilled bread and serve immediately.

1 cup tomatoes and 1/4 cup slivered basil made enough to top 4 to 5 slices of bread.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.