Saturday, January 23, 2021

It's Book Club Day!


Saturdays are the day the Red Beret Book Club gets together on Zoom to talk about the book of the week. My 10-year-old granddaughter and I are reading the Nancy Drew books in order. I sent her a boxed set for Christmas having no clue if she would even like these books that were written in the 1930s. I know she loves old Fred Astaire movies, so I had hopes.

I loved them when I was the 10 year old. But I wasn't even sure if I would still enjoy them as much now as I did decades ago. But I do! Yes. They are dated. Nancy climbs up a trellis to sneak in an upstairs room to look for clues wearing a SKIRT! They are served a first course of bouillon or fruit cup for lunch. Neither of those things are likely to happen today. But it's like watching old black & white movies—those references add texture to the story.


Back in the fall, while stuck at home, I began sending Little Sister a Trixie Belden book every few weeks. I know how much fun it is to get a package in the mail. I was the biggest Trixie Belden fan back in the day. That's one of my old books pictured above. I still have a few on my book shelf. I remember the books on the revolving book rack at the local dime store. I'd slowly turn that rack around over and over, studying all the titles. But if a new Trixie book was there, it was an easy choice. I still love a good mystery. And this is where that love started. 


During the Christmas holiday season I'll admit I watched a lot of Hallmark Christmas movies. I, like everyone else, was home more than usual. And you all know, those movies may not be stellar cinema. But this was a year when we craved comforting and predictable. These movies fit that bill to a tee.


One Saturday morning in December a Hallmark movie was playing on TV while I was folding laundry. I had missed the beginning of the movie but I heard the main character mention a "Trixie" as she talked about books with a young reader. I was not paying close attention. But I felt sure the Trixie they were talking about was MY Trixie.  I managed to find a re-broadcast of that movie (Holly and Ivy) so that I could record it and take a closer look. And yes, I found a couple of scenes that showed the book title. Trixie Belden on a Hallmark movie! 

I was so excited that I posted the two movie screen shots on Instagram. I did not expect the flood of comments that appeared under that post. So many of my IG friends were also Trixie fans growing up. Trixie was a strong, brave young girl who had adventures that we only could dream about. She made us feel like we could do brave things, too.


Soon after Trixie I discovered the next mystery series—Nancy Drew. Nancy was older and got into more dangerous situations (always coming out on top.) And I loved these books, too. I found an old one at our lake house yesterday. It's waiting on Little Sister when she gets back there. 

At our Red Beret Book Club, we talk about the plot, the characters we like best, things we find interesting and how things were different way back then. And beginning today, we will talk about two books. I discovered there is another Nancy Drew out there...Nancy Drew & the Clue Crew. It features an 8 year old Nancy and her friends. The first mystery involves a missing doll. They are a good starting place for a 1st grade reader. Baby Girl is joining us. Yep. She also has a red beret.

In this crazy year of distancing, we have found a way to stay connected. No, it's not like being together. I miss the hugs. I miss having them curl up in my lap or tuck in under my arm while we read together. But I am thankful for today's technology. Zoom and FaceTime can fill in the gaps until we are together. It is still a connection. We are still making memories.


While we are talking about words—that is what we've talked about, isn't it?—let me say that I think I've gotten more thank you notes in the mail this year than ever. Another way to connect. I'll take a thank you any way it comes...text message, voice mail, email...but a written note can linger on my desk and be re-read again and again. Since this photo, our mail has brought several more notes. So it made me rethink my own note writing. I want to send more.


I decided to make it so easy to write a note that I had no excuses. I found a cute rope coil basket on the Target website ($8) and I added it to my basket. I am loving the Target "drive up" option. They usually are walking out with my order before I've completely pulled into the designated parking spot. Now my writing station is ready. I've added my cards to the basket, along with stamps, return address labels, a pen and my Christmas card list that has most of the addresses I need. For now the basket is on my kitchen table where I can write a note while I enjoy that last cup of coffee. But because it's all contained it can move to the desk in the den, or even the little table beside my favorite chair. This basket stares me in the face every day. I don't do New Year's resolutions. But if I did, writing more notes would be at the top of my list.










4 comments:

  1. Oh what great Ideas. I did have the intention to write cards/letters but only got as far as handwriting notes in all my Christmas cards. Not much to fill a whole page in a general Christmas letter, is there?. Do have stamps (but where did I put them?) and notecards, so that's a start....Chloe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to write down who I have sent cards to. Can’t remember once they’ve gone off in the mail!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love that you set up such a perfect note-card station! I'm always writing letters and little notes but you've given me such a good idea. I always have to do to different spots for each thing (my letterhead or my note cards, then the stamps, pens are always handy ... but your idea is genius! I'm going to copy that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, this is working for me. I've sent at least a card a day. It's just easy having it together. Plus, I love the little basket!

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.