Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Making An Old House Into A New Home


Every muscle aches. Every bone is weary.


But some of my moving "chores" were restful.


There were little sewing projects.


And there were bigger sewing projects.


A couple of old windows were freshened with simple new curtains.


And betwixt and between the unpacking there was time to knit.


Two new hats for baby brother who is due in January.


"May this home be a place of happiness, of good health,
of contentment, of generosity and hope.
A home of destiny and kindness.
May those who visit and those who live here
know only blessings and peace." *

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
]
This quick and simple baby hat makes the best gift. I've made over 50 so far. Include care instructions if you're giving one away.

ROLLED BRIM BABY HAT

DK or sport weight yarn, suitable for a baby
size 5 or 6 needles (16-inch circular and DPNs)

Cast on 72 stitches for newborn size. Join, being careful not to twist stitches and place marker at beginning of round.

Knit to 5 inches. (I add 2 or 3 extra rounds; extra length lets baby wear it a little longer.)

Begin decreases — K2tog, K6 around to marker.
                                K2tog, K5 around marker.

Switch to DPNs and change to locking marker fastened between stitches at beginning of round. Place 3 decrease sections on each needle.

Continue decreases. 
                                K2tog, K4 around...
                                K2tog, K3, around...

Continue decreasing in this manner until a total of 5 stitches remain. 
Work 6 rows in I-cord.
Then K2tog twice. 3 stitches remain. 
Cut yarn and run yarn tail through 3 remaining stitches and then down through "stem" of hat.
Weave in yarn end. And weave in cast-on tail.


                                
*New home blessing borrowed from eunamae's Instagram page.




4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this hat idea. I have a forthcoming new baby gift in my future and won't have time for the Baby Surprise Jacket I've been contemplating. This should do the trick! As long as you don't injure yourself all that moving exercise could add years to your life. I certainly admire your energy! And Jessica's house looks very interesting! Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chloe, I hope you check this post again. I was more tired than I realized and posted before I finished! This one has the hat pattern.

      Delete
  2. You are amazing! I know your family appreciates all you do for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate these words that come from another amazing mom!

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.