Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Busy Fall Days

Pumpkin Baked Brie En Croûte


The older I get, the faster my days are flying by! I have so many things I want to do—and I do a lot of them—and there isn't time to ever get to the end of my list. I was happy that I got back here before I hit the one month mark since my last post. 


In the last month, we have had houseguests and spent some time at the beach with family. One houseguest brought me a car load of yarn. His wife was a dear friend whom I met at my first knitting retreat years ago. We attended several retreats together over the years. Now I have become the "executor" of her yarn estate. Trying to figure out what to do with her substantial stash has not been easy...for many reasons. But I am happy to honor her memory by doing so. Other knitting friends are helping. This coming weekend we are getting together to finish some of her unfinished projects and sort the yarn into some kind of order. And think of ways to best disperse it.

This process has made me take a hard look at my own stash and pile of unfinished projects. Since this "yarn estate" arrived at my house, I have finished two almost-done projects of my own and a third one is nearly done.


This linen and silk wrap lacked FOUR rows (it's 94 inches long) when I set it down a year ago. I don't even remember why I stopped working on it. But it is now ready to wear. 


Last night my book club (one friend properly calls it a "bookless club") met my house. Our rule is to keep things simple. And as fancy as this appetizer looks, it's about the easiest thing I've ever made. If you are on Facebook or Instagram you likely have seen videos of the how to process. There are many. Slight variations but similar. It's easier to watch a video but I'm going to write down how I did it.

PUMPKIN-SHAPED BAKED BRIE EN CROÛTE

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
3 tablespoon apple butter
1 round brie cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 bell pepper stem

Preheat oven to 400º. Lay out puff pastry and spread the apple butter in the center in a circle the same size as the brie. Place the unwrapped Brie on top of the apple butter and fold the pastry up around the cheese. (You can cut off corners if necessary to make it easier to wrap.)

Lay out 4 pieces of kitchen twine. Cut twine long enough to tie around the pastry-wrapped brie. Lay first two pieces out crosswise. 
Lay it out like this... +  
Then the next two pieces go across so that it ends up like this....  ✳︎

Tie the twine around the pastry-wrapped brie. This is what makes the pumpkin shape. Place the brie on a baking sheet, smooth side up and brush with the beaten egg. (I used parchment under it.)
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut the twine and carefully pull the twine out from underneath. Use a toothpick to attach a green pepper stem to your "pumpkin." Serve while hot.


Now go find a video if you want to watch the process! It's all over the internet. Search for "pumpkin shaped baked brie."

Fall is here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.