Friday, October 11, 2024

What A Difference A Day Makes

Wednesday morning, Sept 25

 
Like so many people in our state and our neighboring states, last week didn't end like it started. I have photographed this barn hundreds and hundreds of times for years. I've documented the sunrise in all seasons. When I walk into the kitchen each morning to get coffee, the old barn and the sunrise is my first view of the day.

Saturday morning, Sept 28

Then on Friday morning my sky view was unlike anything we had ever seen. Hurricane Helene blew right over us. Here. Hundreds of miles from the coast. In a place where hurricanes don't exist. Until last week.Typically by the time a hurricane makes its way this far inland, it's no longer a hurricane. The storm has lost most of its fury and we might get rain and wind. Not this time.

We were lucky. I almost didn't share the photos of this barn because our damage looks minor when you see what happened in North Carolina. We have watched in horror at the complete destruction others are dealing with. Communities are trying to figure out how to get children back to school. Our schools here start next week, two weeks post storm. Just north of us, they are digging wells at schools to provide water in hopes of reopening in a few more weeks.

We have more significant damage across our farm. Barns will have to be torn down. Roof repairs need to happen. But our house was untouched. And we had a generator that ran for a week. We were among the lucky ones. I only want to say how quickly things can change. In ways that we can't predict. 

Everything is  better with ice cream.

Now on to kitchen things. My cooking keeps getting simpler and simpler. And the internet provides endless possibilities of 2 and 3 ingredient recipes. I am fully aware that these shortcut recipes are not gourmet kitchen creations. But they are tasty. Good enough to make again. Some days "good enough" is as all I require.

Apple Spice Cake

This quick cake popped up a couple of times in the last few weeks. I had a can of apple pie filling in my pantry that needed to be used sooner rather than later. (Can't remember why I bought it a year or so ago.) I made this the day before the storm not knowing it would be our treat for days while the power was out.

The original used nothing but a box of spice cake mix and a can of apple pie filling. It reminded me of the Pumpkin Spice Muffins we have made for years. I had to adjust to use what I had on hand. Here is what I did:

APPLE SPICE CAKE

1 box yellow cake mix
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
1 can apple pie filling
about 1/2 cup water, enough to be able to blend ingredients

Blend the apple pie spice into the dry cake mix. Cut the apples in the canned filling into bite-size pieces. If the apples in the brand you have are soft, you could mash them up. 
Stir pie filling and water into the cake mix. Spoon into a greased 2-qt baking dish. Bake at 350º for 30-ish minutes. I watched until it got brown on top.


Sometimes I do have spice cake mix on the shelf. But the yellow cake and apple pie spice was great. You could use pumpkin pie spice, too, or even cinnamon with a little nutmeg. USE WHAT YOU HAVE!

The original recipe didn't even use water. I could not even get the cake and pie filling mixed, so I added water, about 1/2 cup, like the pumpkin muffins. Enough to mix things together. It's still a stiff batter. I just realized you could copy the pumpkin muffin recipe even further and make muffins. 

Also keep this recipe in mind if your circle includes anyone with an egg allergy. No eggs here!



And then last night Mother Nature brought us another unexpected event. But this was a wonderful one. Way down in the Deep South we got a glimpse of the Northern Lights. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.