Friday, November 25, 2011

Berry Berry Good


Our Thanksgiving dinner is the kind where everyone brings a dish (or two...or three) to add to the buffet. Before she drove home for the holiday, Jessica sent me the recipe for this cranberry-apple dish and asked that I buy the ingredients when I did my grocery shopping. Then she was ready to cook when she got here. I already had everything on hand. I love recipes that don't require lots of "odd" ingredients.

Several people yesterday declared this the "best recipe" of the year. It could be a dessert (ummm....add a scoop of vanilla ice cream) as well as a side dish. Leftovers weren't too bad for breakfast either! Come on...it's oatmeal and fruit, isn't it?


Cranberry Apple Crunch
4-6 apples (red delicious or granny smith), peeled and sliced thin
2 cups fresh cranberries 
¾ - 1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water

Mix ingredients and put in a 9x13-inch dish, sprayed with PAM

Topping:
1 cup old-fashioned oats (quick oats would work, too)
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped nuts
1 stick of butter, melted

Spread topping over fruit mixture in dish and bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 min.
(also good with vanilla ice cream for dessert!)


Yesterday morning was such good family time in our kitchen. Granddaddy peeling apples, Jessica measuring and stirring, while I was busy with other cooking. These are good holiday memories. Having these recipes to hand down is part of what makes us "family."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.