Thursday, November 3, 2011

It's Magic

One of the true grandmother joys (and there are many) is taking a child to a special event. One you likely would not have attended without a child in tow. Last night was one of those magical moments. Big Sister and I went to the Peace Center. Just the two of us. Big Sister is busy with school and her other activities so I don't see her as much as I see her little sister now, so last night was a real treat. She is quite the conversationalist. I was delighted to listen.


There is always excitement as the theater begins to fill. You can feel the anticipation. Movies are wonderful but live theater is magic. Big Sister wanted to know who gets to sit in a box. Next time I'll see if I can get tickets there.


We went to see Peter Pan, such a old story that is still a favorite. I grew up watching the Mary Martin version on television, in a time long ago and far away, before DVRs existed. So when the TV special was aired once a year, it was a huge family event. Now that you can watch anything over and over, nothing is quite so special anymore. Kind of sad.


When you wait until two days before the play to buy tickets, you'd better bring along binoculars. But we discovered that sitting in the balcony had an advantage. The stage lighting was spectacular. And if you couldn't see the stage floor, you would have missed some of the best effects.


Fairy dust! It was all about the fairy dust and learning to fly. Cathy Rigby (remember her from the 1968 Olympics?) soared around at high speed, flipping and turning. She was totally believable as a young boy. Considering that she is close enough to my own age that we could have been in high school together, that is more than amazing.

 

Beautiful sets, wonderful dancing, lovely music for two hours. And then the magic was over and it was time to go home, way past Big Sister's bedtime. But tonight will last in my memory a long time. I hope she remembers the evening for a long time, too. Thank you, Big Sister, for a lovely evening.

4 comments:

  1. What an incredible delight!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter Pan is my favorite. Glad you two had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One must believe in magic. What a perfect companion for the play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I go to a Peace Center performance, I wonder why I don't go to them all! I wish I had seen this one! Here's hoping I get PDub to Lion King!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.