Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Last Minute Recipes



I'm sitting here in my pajamas, before the sun comes up, making my final shopping list. It's grown since that one I started last week. I realized that my pumpkin pie recipe has never been posted here. And then while looking for that one, I came across the baked fruit recipe. Same thing for the cake recipe. I'm posting them here today to make them easier for me to find. This blog has become my own "recipe box." You might find these easy recipes useful, too.

There was a time when everyone was happy to get a new recipe without a photo. So I'm going old school and sharing them without a picture. There were no pictures when I originally put them into the family cookbook. But I've made them all. And they are good.

Now, back to my Thanksgiving preparations. Good luck with yours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before Mommy could cook much, she could make this fruit dish. I think even in college she would take this to covered dish dinners. I've made it, too, several times. Don't turn your nose up at canned fruit—because that means no peeling! How easy is this? That makes it a good last minute choice. Perfect for times when you need just one more dish.

SPICED FRUIT COMPOTE

1 (17-oz.) can apricot halves
1 (16-oz.) can peach halves
2 (8 ½ oz.) cans pear halves
1 (15 ¼ oz.) can pineapple chunks
1 (6 oz.) jar maraschino cherries 
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
1/8 tsp. mace

Drain all fruits.  Cut apricot, peach, and pear halves into half length-wise.  Combine fruit in a 8x12-in baking dish (2 qt.)
Combine orange juice and remaining ingredients in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
Pour over fruit and bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Cool.  
REMOVE CLOVES AND CINNAMON STICK BEFORE SERVING !


Can serve warm or cold.  Can refrigerate covered for up to 2 days.

This baked fruit dish is delicious and it's pretty on the table. If you are carrying it to another house for dinner, wrap it carefully. There is a lot of liquid that can slosh out.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's a Thanksgiving with pumpkin pie? Here is the recipe I've used many times. It's not fancy. Just good. I use a refrigerated pie crust put into my own pie plate.

THANKSGIVING PUMPKIN PIE

2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 can (16 oz.) solid pack pumpkin
¾ cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk, undiluted

9-inch deep dish pie shell

Preheat oven to 425°.  Mix filling ingredients in order given.  Pour into pie shell.
Bake 15 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350° and continue baking for 45 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.

This is one of my favorite desserts.  I played around with the recipe on the label of a can of Libby’s pumpkin.  The spices now suit my tastes and this pie is a little firmer than the original, so it cuts better. (I’ve used this recipe a long time---just realized that pumpkin now comes in 15 oz. cans.  It still works.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While not a last-minute recipe, it's one that can be made the day before...one last thing to make the "day of." Son-in-law said the first time he tasted this that it came pretty close to his grandmother's homemade version.  I can only handle this cake mix version on this busy weekend.

COCONUT CAKE

1 pkg. Duncan Hines Deluxe II yellow cake mix

  Bake according to directions in a 13x9x2-inch pan.

Topping:
2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1 (6-oz.) pkg. frozen coconut

Bring to boil.  When cake comes from oven, spoon mixture over cake.  Insert knife in 6 or 8 places (or more) to allow mixture to penetrate.  Cover with foil and cool.

Frosting:
9 oz. Cool Whip
1 (6 oz.) pkg. frozen coconut

Spread 9 oz. Cool Whip over cooled cake and sprinkle with this 2nd package of frozen coconut.  Replace foil and leave in refrigerator about overnight before serving.

I got this recipe from cousin Audrey so long ago. Putting here so that all of the family can find it now.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.