Monday, October 1, 2018

Bucket List Knitting


Soon after the Georgia knitting retreat last spring, a knitter friend asked, "Would you like to come to the Maine retreat with me in the fall?" In an uncharacteristic move for me, I gave her an instant "Yes!" I tend to overthink things. Find a zillion reasons why I shouldn't go. Reasons not to fly somewhere to knit. How silly is that?

But it dawned on me. I've reached the "now or never" stage of life. The time when I'd better go while my knee and hip joints are all my own—and they all still work. That sounds a little morbid, but it's the truth. I'm past tending to children. I don't have as many responsibilities as I did years ago. My schedule is somewhat my own now.

So here we go. Take a quick look at my trip to Maine. Mostly a trip to knit. But thanks to the good friend (and fellow early riser) who sent pre-dawn texts asking "Are you up? Want to go now?" I got to see the sun come up over several rocky coastlines. She made sure I caught a glimpse of the Bush family compound across the water. And she made my picture standing beside the giant boot at the L.L. Bean store in Portland. After years of being a catalogue customer, seeing that giant store in person was a treat. Thank you, Jo, for making sure I saw a lot. But you made sure there is more to see next time.


Knitters from one corner of the country to the other.


My first lobster roll. Ever.


My total knowledge of Maine was Jessica Fletcher's "Cabot Cove" 
on the TV show Murder She Wrote.
Now I've seen the real deal.


The early bird gets the dramatic photo.


A coastline so different from the one that borders my state.


 We stayed at their guest house.


That time when my clothes matched the beach.




 Adding to my collection of sunrise photos.


You can't have just one lobster roll.


Yes. There really was knitting.


No clue why these are planted here.


Had to stand in line for a photo.


And the perfect pattern to make while I was in Maine.

Pattern:  Maine Morning Mitts, by Clara Parks
Yarn:  Patons Classic Wool Worsted
Needles: Size 7



Maine...I'll be back.

But first I'm going on another knitting bucket list trip in the spring.
That one requires a passport.
< big grin >






4 comments:

  1. You have me wanting to knit everything you are wearing.....and wanting to plan a trip to Maine despite it being the worst time in my life to do so (we have a lot going on right now). Morning mitts and that fabulous gray poncho? cape? I want to knit one of each. Normally I don't like turtlenecks but in Maine they look just right. So wise for you to go now. I took a bucket list cruise years ago - just a few years before the creaky joints started to set in. (Too bad there is not an App for that!). Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chloe, the poncho pattern is Indigo Frost. The turtleneck is a loose one. It was a fun knit.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos of Maine. That retreat looks like so much fun. Good for you for seizing the moment and going. I am of a similar age so I recognize that feeling of having all the joints working - form the moment! And Maine morning mitts - what a perfect knit. I wonder if the canoes, boats standing upright is a marine version of Stonehenge? We have a Carhenge in Nebraska. I think it is kind of goofy but live and let live is my motto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boathenge? Maybe. It’s as good a guess as any!

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.