Friday, October 26, 2018

Doing Grandparent Things


Both little girls have fun Mimi-made socks now. Just in time for cold weather. Yes! We finally have a cold day that calls for hand knits. They were excited to put these fun socks on. And "ice skate" around the house. What else are handmade socks for?

And finishing the socks makes me feel better about heading off this morning to SAFF (Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair) to look at more yarn. You heard me say "look." That's the plan anyway. Just going to look and to visit with other knitters. And to see what those other knitters are wearing. High today will be in the upper 40s so everyone should have on lots of knitwear. It's a sad day when this annual fiber event is held on a hot weekend. And that has happened.


And while I was at Mommy's house, I made a Halloween costume for Little Sister. She wanted to be Wendy (from Peter Pan) and that is a difficult costume to find ready made. Good thing they have a Mimi who also sews. Baby Girl already had a lovely Tinkerbell costume. And yes, two days ago the temperature was in the 70s and they were fine outside without coats.


I knew making a Wendy dress on the to-do list. The plan was to buy fabric and a pattern. Measure Little Sister well and make the dress at home. And hope it would fit. But as we were walking into the fabric store, I had a brilliant idea. Why not buy an inexpensive sewing machine and make there while I could try it on her and adjust if necessary? Let me tell you this little Singer Tradition is a sweet little machine. For less than $130 (at Joann's), it made even straight stitches. All I had wanted was straight stitching and reverse and maybe zigzag. But this little machine does that and more.

Before you get excited about the half-price coupon—they always have coupons— from that store, let me tell you it doesn't work for sewing machines. I thought I was REALLY going to get a bargain. And I did. But not half-price!

I made the dress on their dining room table and let her try it on to check the hem before I finished it. So nice to do that while I was there. And now that little machine will stay at their house. I even stitched up a jacket pocket for the new son-in-law when they came for dinner. There is always something to be mended. Maybe when the little girls are older we can do some sewing lessons.

So if you are looking for a basic sewing machine for light household sewing, this is a nice choice. There were machines at Joann's that cost more and one that cost less. This one worked fine for me.


Pattern: Ribbed Socks For Kids from Susan B. Anderson
Yarn: Patons Kroy Socks Stripe, Meadow Stripes colorway
Needles:  size 2

I'll head back down soon. I hear that Baby Girl needs an angel costume for the preschool Christmas program. "That's what we do in Pre-K, Mimi. Pre-K means preschool. In case you didn't know."












2 comments:

  1. I think I got that Singer or similar at Jo-Ann's after my old machine died. It is just enough for the amount of sewing that I do these days. Yay for Jo-Ann's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. We don’t always need the mack daddy of machines. This one exceeded my expectations.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.