Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Getting Ready For The 4th

The July 4th week means family gatherings and big dinners and cooking out for many of us. Here are some recipes that you might find handy for those occasions.

Borrowed this photo from a previous grilling session.

Last night it was my turn to take supper for our Monday night group of friends for dinner and a movie. I decided that in the interest of undoing some of my overindulgences this summer, I would take something that was Weight Watchers friendly—grilled chicken salad.

I made a giant green salad, put homemade croutons, toasted pecans and fresh shaved Parmesan in separate containers so if anyone wanted to leave off ALL the point busters, they could. And Daddy-O, being the best of Daddy-Os, came in a little early on the tractor to grill the chicken for me. I took it and sliced it up after I got there.

I love this recipe and have used it so many times. It's quick to mix. Doesn't have to be marinated all day. And it gives the chicken a flavor boost but not an overpowering lemon flavor.

LEMON PEPPER CHICKEN

1 cup lemon juice (I used Sunkist bottled this time)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (this time I used 8 smaller ones)

Whisk marinade ingredients together. Pour over chicken and let it marinate for 1 hour (not longer) in the refrigerator. Remove chicken from marinade and discard the marinade. Grill until chicken is done. Outdoor grill or grill pan both work. I've done it both ways.


Baby Girl likes her ice cream on the side.

And in the "not so healthy" category, here is a recipe that we made during Mimi Camp. (It's part of what I overindulged in.) I had planned to let the little girls make it. It's that easy. But I ended up and threw it together on the last day and we had it for our dessert. If you need a quick, easy dessert to take to a family gathering, you couldn't go wrong with this one.

PINEAPPLE-CHERRY DUMP CAKE

1 (20-oz) can pineapple tidbits, plus the juice
1 (21-oz) can cherry pie filling
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 box yellow cake mix (2-layer size)
1 stick butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Grease a 2-qt. baking dish with butter. Place pineapple tidbits, cherry pie filling and vanilla extract in a bowl and mix. Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over the fruit. Pour melted butter evenly over dry cake mix. Use a spoon to spread it if necessary. Bake for about 45 minutes, until top is golden brown and filling is bubbling.  We like to serve it with ice cream on top.

Confession:  I grabbed a 9x13 dish (3-qt) without thinking. There wasn't enough butter to cover that much more surface area, so I melted another half stick of butter to pour over the top. It was really good. ☺️

I'm sure you could switch out the cherry for another flavor pie filling. And I even wondered how apple pie filling and a spice cake mix would work. I haven't tried that, but after I've lived on salads for a few weeks, I like to.


Pasta salad will keep for several days so it's a good make-ahead dish.

Minutes after the girls left and headed home from camp, I headed to the grocery store to buy ingredients for my annual big pasta salad making. For years I have made a double—sometimes triple—batch for the Salkahatchie Summer Service work camp that is hosted by our church each summer. It keeps well, so they can use it at lunch for several days.

I have also made this many times for our July 4th week at the lake...because I can make it at home and take it and have enough for several meals. My family loves it. And the Salkahatchie kids must, too, because they keep asking me to make it. You've probably seen this recipe here before but it's good enough for a repeat. It's the perfect summer side for all your gatherings.

GARDEN PASTA SALAD

1 (16-oz) box of pasta -- rotini, bowtie, or penne 
5 cups of chopped fresh vegetables
fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
1 (16-oz) bottle Italian salad dressing (I like Wishbone)

Cook the pasta according to package directions. Rinse under cold water. Drain well. Put pasta and vegetables and parsley into a large bowl. Add salad dressing and Salad Supreme Seasoning. Toss gently until mixed well. Cover. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or until ready to serve. I like to make it a day ahead.

This recipe filled a 5-quart plastic container.

The only secret I know for this pasta salad to use a big assortment of vegetables. I aim for lots of color in my mix. This time I used zucchini, carrot, celery, red pepper, yellow squash, cucumber, grape tomatoes, corn and broccoli.  You can use any combination that suits you. For no particular reason, I didn't add any onion this time. I love to cook fresh corn and cut it off the cob. (Dunk the broccoli in the boiling water first for a few seconds to brighten the color.) The corn adds a nice touch of sweetness.

Another hint is to put a large pot of water on to boil before you start chopping. A big pot of water takes forever to come to a boil. 


There are other recipes here on my blog that would be good summer time picnic/covered dish recipes. I'll make it easy and add a few links.

Carol's Marinated Veggies (she brought this to our dinner-and-a-movie last night)

Indian Summer Salad (I love this salad. Keeps for days.)

Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad (no mayo if egg allergy is a problem)

Blueberry Pie (easy to make—no fruit to peel)

Sweet Tea (you don't HAVE to buy it)


And a reminder that there is a recipe index at the top of the page, just under the name banner. All the recipes from this blog are there in categories. If you find something missing or out of place, let me know. Sometimes I forget to add a new recipe. Thanks.








2 comments:

  1. Dump cakes are great easy gluten free options since you can get gluten free yellow cake mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try to sneak that dump cake past my cherry hating husband. He loves pineapple so maybe I can get away with it. (If not, there isn't a whole of kitchen time that would be wasted!) Chloe

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.