Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Make Ahead Salad


Someone just saw this photo on Instagram and told me how peaceful it looks. It's an illusion. We are here for the week. Two little girls. One teenager. Parents. Grandparents. Aunt. And a boyfriend is coming later. It can get noisy, but it's fun to have everyone here. (If it all starts to overwhelm me, I'll look at this photo for a quiet moment.)

Tomorrow the extended family comes for our annual picnic. At last count I think about 25 of us should be here. I did some of my lake cooking yesterday and brought with me. Any make-ahead things I can do really help make working in the tiny kitchen easier.

I'm closing the computer for the rest of the week to spend time on the porch with family. But I'll give you one recipe before I go.

If you are in need to a dish for your 4th of July meal, this is a good make-ahead salad that will keep for days. It's quick to put together. Thanks to my friend Carol for sharing this recipe. Make it today and let the flavors develop overnight.


CAROL'S MARINATED VEGGIES

1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2—3/4 cup sugar (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 (15.5 oz.) can light red kidney beans
1 (15.5 oz.) can black beans
1 (6.5 oz.) can mushroom stems & pieces (my can was smaller)
1 (8 oz.) can sliced water chestnuts
1 (2 oz. ) jar diced pimento
frozen white corn (amount about equal to the kidney beans)
frozen green peas (amount about equal to the kidney beans)
1 bag frozen shelled edamame beans, cooking according to package directions
1 rib celery, finely chopped (optional)

Combine oil, vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it cool while prepping the rest of the ingredients. When cool, pour over vegetables and refrigerate.

Drain and rinse canned vegetables. Cook and cool edamame beans. In a large bowl, mix drained beans, pimento, mushrooms, and water chestnuts. 

Vegetables will keep in refrigerator for up to two weeks.



Yes, you add the corn and peas frozen. No cooking. I have cut the slices of water chestnuts into smaller pieces. I'm sure if there is something that you don't like here, you can leave it out. Like this time I skipped the water chestnuts when someone walked through my kitchen as I was making this and said, "I don't like those white things."  Make it suit yourself.






2 comments:

  1. That looks SO good! Definitely adding to my summer cookout repertoire. Happy 4th! Can't wait to see pictures. It is just the 2 of us this year.... very strange but after a houseful last week, I am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a yummy salad. Enjoy your family and have a Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.