Friday, March 8, 2019

On & Off The Needles


Pattern:  Herald, by Janina Kallio
Yarn: BlueberryChickYarn Kiawah Fingering
Needle size: 7

One of the "beach girls" said last week that our beach retreat had turned into a knitting retreat. There is some truth to that because everyone knitted somewhere during the week. I took this shawl with me for easy knitting and finished it soon after I got home. I plan to take it with me next week on a mountain knitting retreat. To provide a little pre-retreat group activity, we were all invited to make something green that we will wear for a group photo while we are there. Something green because this retreat ends on St. Patrick's Day.

I'm pretending it's summer. It's cold outside!

I won this hand dyed green yarn last year at another retreat. So the shawl will be a lovely souvenir of both retreats and of knitting time at the beach. When this shawl was finished, it blocked out light and airy and large enough (nearly 70 inches across) to wrap around my shoulder. I'm ready for summer. 


Earlier this week, I picked up my phone when it whistled. The text message read, "Mom, do you happen to have any baby hats ready? I'm going to a baby shower soon." I did have one ready, but I also have a baby shower on my calendar. These sweet hats are quick and easy, so I cast on another one for her. And almost immediately I decided I didn't like the color. Silly me kept knitting away thinking I'd like it better as I went along. Hoping the blotchy appearance was going to change. (What was I thinking?) After knitting four rows, I was sure I didn't like it. But in the knitting fantasy going on my head, I kept waiting for the colors to turn into softly blended shades of gray. Not gonna happen.  

I grew up thinking that "you finish what you start." That applied to books, food on my dinner plate, movies, classes, bottles of salad dressing. Anything. Everything. Even if I didn't like it. It's that waste not, want not philosophy that my parents taught us. That's not a bad thing, but at my age, I'm rethinking it. Do I really want to spend my time reading the rest of a book that I'm not enjoying? Or finishing a salad dressing that isn't a flavor I like? Just because I bought it. Or, in this case, knitting something that isn't knitting up like I hoped? I don't want to be wasteful, but my time is valuable, too. More valuable than a skein of yarn.


Finally I was honest with myself. Honest after four inches. I should have been honest after four rows. And last night I pulled out a nice solid blue yarn and whipped out a traditional baby boy hat. In time to deliver to Jessica this weekend. The half-done hat and three more skeins of this gray tonal yarn are going into my "donate" box. It might be a real treasure for someone to find at the thrift shop.


And while I was in hat mode, I cast on another hat in a deep denim blue. I grew up in the era of pastel blues and pinks for babies but I think this will be a fun baby choice. The next time I get a call for a baby hat, I'll have one ready to finish in no time. And that baby will probably be a girl!


Now this afternoon I can get back to my regular knitting. This one is Piper's Journey in a bright green alpaca yarn with the color name "Bells of Ireland." I didn't know this was the color name when I bought it, but I think it's a sign. I'm getting ready for my knitting trip to Ireland! The countdown is now in weeks, not months.


PS...here is the link to the baby hat that I've made dozens of times.










5 comments:

  1. You are knitting all over the world! I always enjoy seeing your projects. That shawl is lovely and delicate on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the hat colors. I never did pastels for Angel. I liked the bolder colors and so did she. Now about the reading: My sis and I follow the 100-page rule. And at my age, I don't havve to read too much before I throw in the towel on a boring book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to laugh at the salad dressing comment. I never can bring myself to toss that last half-inch of dressing until it has festered in my fridge long enough to be sufficiently yucky and therefore 'trash.' My book style knitting needle storage thingy (a repurposed fishing fly binder) is fastened with VELCRO. I've learned not to leave it near any actual yarn:). That style baby hat is adorable. Beautiful Shawl. Good luck on the hurricane! Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shawl looks lovely, nice color for Spring. Love the baby hats! Hope the weather is gentle over where you are. We have a crazy snow storm here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link to the baby hat. That is a good pattern to keep in my back pocket. The green shawl looks so pretty and like Spring.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.