Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Summer Breakfast

OVERNIGHT MUESLI

I love a bowl of oatmeal in the mornings. All warm and fragrant with cinnamon and apples. But in the summer, hot oatmeal for breakfast is not the first thing that crosses my mind. I now have a new way to love oatmeal. A quick overnight muesli. Years ago I tried several overnight oats concoctions. Can't say I ever loved any of them. Most had chia seeds. I'm sure they are good for you, but I didn't like the dingy color of the end result. This is a plainer version that suits me just fine. I've been making two or three at a time so that it's easy to grab one in the mornings.

Understand this isn't a true muesli which typically has dried fruits, nuts, seeds, spices, etc. Truthfully, it may barely even qualify as muesli. But it works for me. Simple. Tasty. Healthy.

Normally I would never use almond milk, but at the beginning of the quarantine I snagged a case (4 quarts) of almond milk, thinking it would be good to have a shelf stable "milk" on hand. Wonder of wonders! It's pretty good. It's perfect in this mixture.


This is how I do it. Use it as a starting place for your own version. Try different berries. You could top with nuts or granola. Or, use a different milk. Daddy-O needed more honey. I'm pretty sure my little granddaughters would think this is a treat. Can't wait to see them again so we can try it.

OVERNIGHT MUESLI

1/4 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 teaspoon honey
berries, fresh or frozen
ground cinnamon, optional

Measure oatmeal, milk, yogurt and honey into a 1 cup container. Stir together. Top with berries. Cover and refrigerate overnight. When serving, sprinkle with a little cinnamon. Will keep in refrigerator for several days.

1 serving                      For my WW point counting friends, this is 1 purple point.




We spent the weekend at the lake. Just us—and the geese and the squirrels who kept us entertained. We love the porch so the rain was just one more thing to watch. I planned our food carefully, taking all we needed for several days. No trips to the grocery store. I took a couple of jars of this muesli. And we stayed three nights. 

I was so sad I didn't have a third jar to eat the last day there. So as soon as we got home, I stirred up four more. I'm ready for the rest of the week. I found out they get better as they sit longer. Mix them up during the day or in the afternoon instead of at bedtime for the next day's breakfast for a little extra refrigerator time. Make them several days ahead. I would happily have one for a snack. This is one of my best recipe finds in quite a while. Delicious AND healthy!






4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to make one. Wonder of wonders I have all the ingredients, minus the almond part of the milk. Two per cent will have to do. I also found most overnight oatmeals a bit lacking, so never made it a habit. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had it yesterday. This one's a keeper. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recipe. At our house we also like the unsweetened almond milk with cereals and also for smoothies. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First comment from e although I've been reading your blog for quite a while now and love it. Back on April 20th you posted about growing celery from the stalk and I gave it a try. We love it, my granddaughters are fascinated and I just planted it into the ground outside. Fingers crossed we can eventually cut a few stalks. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.