Thursday, December 31, 2020

Goodbye, 2020

Louise Jacks Fudge Pie

We all know about the bad things that took over 2020. Some terrible things. It has been a year like no other. But we found some good things in 2020, too. It's been hard to see the good because we have been so focused on the virus that upended life as we know it. Covid even complicated the "regular" bad things that happened in peoples lives and made those "bad" things terrible.

But I'm looking back at the good things that happened this year...
  • We had a new granddaughter born right after the calendar page flipped over. What a joy it has been to watch her grow!
  • My cabinets and drawers may be the cleanest they have been in years. With so much time at home I've done deep cleaning out that was way overdue.
  • I am exercising faithfully now. Every single day since March 15. I'm using Grow Young fitness online. It's designed for senior adults. (Forgive me, if I laughed at you chair exercisers years ago.) I started at the very beginning—15 minute sessions, all sitting down. Now I'm doing 40 minute sessions, all standing. This is not an advertisement. Just sharing what is working for me. (I asked my dermatologist once what was the best moisturizer I could use. She answered, "Which ever one you're willing to use daily." Kind of the same thing with exercising—find the one you'll stick with.)
  • I have spent extra time at the piano figuring out songs by ear. And by golly, it's getting easier.
  • I gave up coloring my hair and discovered I that I love the silver color that's been hiding under the blonde I've been paying for. It shouldn't have taken a pandemic for me to figure this out. But it did.

So I'm sitting here on New Year's Eve, planning to watch the ball drop on television. Like we always do. If we can stay awake, we will kiss and toast the new year. But before this year is completely in the rearview mirror I want to share a recipe that we enjoyed on Christmas Eve. One of the many joys of expanding a family is learning about the foods from the other family. This pie, a tradition in our son-in-law's family, was new to me. It was delicious. And so easy. You know me. I am a fan of easy recipes. Todd said I could share his grandmother's fudge pie recipe.


LOUISE JACK'S FUDGE PIE

1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell (we used refrigerated pie crust)
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 stick butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350ยบ.
Melt butter and chocolate. Add flour and sugar. Mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one until well mixed. Add vanilla. Pour into pie shell. Bake 20-25 minutes, until pie is just set. 

Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

Jessica's version:  She opted for bittersweet Ghiradelli chocolate.  Because the store was out of bittersweet. Since the chocolate was not unsweetened, she adjusted the sugar and used a scant cup. This also worked well.

The chocolate you use may depend on what's in your pantry. But a good quality chocolate is always a good choice.




Here's to a better 2021!





2 comments:

  1. Yum, that pie looks good! I, like you, like to remember the good in 2020. Keep on exercising into 2021! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exercise has not been high on my list most years. But it skyrocketed to the top in 2020. I plan for it to stay there. Happy New Year!

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.