Sunday, December 19, 2021

Merry Christmas To All!


I just put this on the stove. It's simmering right now. I'm taking a preemptive step. I'm trying to balance the holiday menus coming this week. I've made this soup so many times. Personally, I love vegetable soup that's full of potatoes and corn and beans. With a big piece of cornbread on the side. But this one is also good and has barely any starchy vegetables, thus it's lower in calories. And I'll have a couple of saltine crackers with it instead of cornbread. This time I did use two cups of low-sodium chicken broth as part of the liquid for a bit more flavor.

According to the original source, this soup keeps in the fridge for five days. So I have lunch ready from now until Christmas Eve. It's so much easier to make a healthy meal choice when it's ready and waiting in the refrigerator. 

Not-Quite-Free Soup (photo from months ago)

You might rather hang on to this recipe for after the holiday when you are ready for a reset after maybe too much food. I'll probably make it again then.


NOT-QUITE-"FREE" SOUP

1 16- oz bag frozen vegetables for soup
1/2 head cabbage, finely chopped
1 onion, diced (I only had a 1/2 onion)
1 15-oz can cut green beans 
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
1 pkg dry Ranch Dressing mix
5-6 cups water
freshly ground black pepper, to taste 

Put all ingredients into a pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes or longer, until vegetables are as tender as you like them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here is another favorite recipe when you want to eat lighter. All of this "free" and "zero point" stuff refers to WW (formerly Weight Watchers.) They have changed their system again so I have no idea how you count this anymore. 

I'm pretty sure this recipe would work well in the slow cooker if you don't use an Instant Pot.

ZERO POINT CHICKEN TACO SOUP (Instant Pot) 
        ...recipe from SlapDashMom.com (check her site for other good recipes)

1 small onion, chopped
1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained
1 (15-oz) can light red kidney beans, drained
1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
10-oz bag frozen corn
2 (10-oz) cans Rotel tomatoes (I used Mild)
1 packet taco seasoning (I used mild, low-sodium)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup water

Place all ingredients into pot. Put lid on, close and set vent to "seal." Use manual button and set to 8 minutes. Let it "natural release" for at least 10 minutes. (Longer is fine.) Then release remaining pressure, if there is any. Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add shredded chicken back into soup. Serve. 


This is more like a chili than a true soup, but it's yummy. It's gluten-free. And it freezes beautifully. You can certainly cook this in something besides an Instant Pot. I used my IP last night and carried it to the dinner in the pot because the lid fastens securely and I could plug it in when I got there to keep it warm.


And I'm closing the lid on my computer now. I'll see you here after the holidays. Take care of yourself in these coming busy days. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.