Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Monday


I spent a good part of my weekend at Knit Inn 2013 in Greenville, taking classes, visiting with old friends and meeting new ones. Several hundred knitters take over a hotel for three days. Every possible spot is filled with knitters—in the lobby, in the dining area, in the ballrooms. I always wonder what the few non-knitting hotel guests think when they first walk in.


I knew I would not get home on Friday until supper time. I was glad to have Pineapple Beef in the freezer. A terrific slow cooker recipe I've posted here before. Now I know it is just as good from the freezer as it was the first time. (I was not the one who brought Krispie Kremes into the house.)


Sunday was Super Bowl Sunday. We had no particular interest in either team—although it turned out to be a great game. Almost as good as the Downton Abby episode I watched mid-game. But it was as good excuse as any to try a new snack recipe. 


Made hummus for the first time just after I walked in from a church meeting. Super easy to do. The tiny little plastic cup you get at the grocery store is good. But this was so easy to make and cost so much less, I don't think I'll buy it much any more. There are plenty of recipes on the internet but I tried one from Ina Garten. And then I changed it to suit us. You'll find my recipe below.


And this morning I woke up to see this glorious sky, thankful I get another day to do life all over again. Life is good. Thank you, God.

HUMMUS

3 cloves garlic (garlic cloves come in all sizes, so make it suit your taste)
2 (15-oz) cans chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
1-1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt (if you use table salt, you might want less)
1/3 cup Tahini paste
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, about 2 lemons
3-4 tablespoons liquid from beans (or amount needed to reach desired consistency)
8 dashes hot sauce

Peel garlic cloves. Dip them into boiling water for 30 seconds to mellow the "raw" garlic flavor, unless you like the stronger raw taste.

Using a food processor or blender, turn it on and drop garlic into moving blades to mince it. Turn off blender and add the remaining ingredients and blend until coarsely pureed. Taste and adjust the seasoning to suit you. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

TERIYAKI BEEF with PINEAPPLE

2 lb. stew beef
15-20 oz. jar teriyaki sauce (I used Archer Farms Teriyaki Grilling Sauce)
20-oz. can pineapple tidbits, drained

Add stew beef to slow cooker. (I used a 3-1/2 qt. size.)
Pour sauce over beef and stir.
Cook on LOW for 7-9 hours or HIGH for 5-6 hours.
Add pineapple tidbits during last 20-30 minutes of cooking time.

Freezes well, if you have leftovers. Freeze flat in a freezer ziploc bag and it will thaw quicker than if frozen in a "block" in a plastic container. Be sure to label and date.





4 comments:

  1. What a stunning sunrise! I finally replaced my crockpot, so I'll be looking up some of your yummy recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so great to see you this weekend! I only wish we'd had more time to talk--plan on that next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glorious is the perfect word for that sunrise! Your weekend away sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to spend some time; communing with like-minded fibery folks! Sure looks fun. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.