Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Making Muffins This Morning



While I was out with grandchildren last week, Little Sister asked if we could make muffins. She loves to bake (which mostly means she likes to stir.) But time ran out before we got to do that. We would have made the applesauce muffins (recipe here) that she loves. So this morning, back here at home, I made muffins because it made me think of her. Not the applesauce muffins that I would have baked last week, though.

I pulled a recipe out of my old, old, handwritten recipe book. I think this recipe was added to my book in the late 1970s—back before coffee mugs had completley replaced cups and saucers. You know it's an old recipe when it says to serve with "butter curls." I'm pretty sure this was a "healthy" recipe from some magazine way back then.


The recipe only makes six muffins, but there are times when you only want a small batch. The hardest part of this recipe is blending the peanut butter with the egg and water. I used a small whisk to mix. And it still took a couple or three minutes. With any muffin or quick bread recipe, you should always stir the wet and dry ingredients together only until dry ingredients are moistened. Don't over stir.

These are not the cupcake-like muffins you get at your coffee shop. They are not overly sweet and the texture is more like a corn muffin. You can taste the peanut butter, but that is not the predominant flavor. They were just perfect with my coffee this morning.


WHEAT GERM MUFFINS

2/3 cup Bisquick
1/3 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup sugar

1 slightly beaten egg
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a mixing bowl, stir together biscuit mix, wheat germ and sugar.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the egg, water, peanut butter and vanilla. Beat egg mixture until smooth.
Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)
Spoon batter into greased muffin tins.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve with butter curls, if desired.

Makes 6 muffins

I liked these muffins better without the butter. (Big surprise.)



1 comment:

  1. I love a muffin and a cup of coffee! And a small batch works for a small household! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.