Friday, November 15, 2013

Friday, Fall, Food


This is the third Honey Cowl I've made. Both daughters have one and now I have one, too. I knitted the first half of this one on my trip to visit Baby Sister and her family a couple of weeks ago. Airports and airplanes are great places to knit a lot in a hurry. You can't do much else. Big Sister now wants one. As soon as I find the shade of gray yarn she wants, I'll start one for her. This is a lovely simple pattern, great for travel knitting or sit-and-knit groups. Not much thinking required.


Pattern: Honey Cowl
Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh DK, color: Byzantine
Needles: size 8, 40-in. circular


Midweek, we had a freaky blast of cold Canadian air. There was even talk of snow in our local forecasts. Well, we didn't see snow, but we did freeze for a couple of days. This cowl can be worn long, or looped around to keep the neck warm. I wove in the ends on the first very cold day—and hardly took it off for a couple of days. (I nearly froze taking that first photo.) And there is more cold weather expected next week. It is the season for knitwear at last!


Pattern: Ann Norling's Kid's Fruit Hat (made solid)
Yarn: Berrocco Comfort DK
Needles: size size 6

And I just finished wrapping this sweet baby cap for a friend who is expecting a winter baby boy. Tomorrow I'll be making a treat for her baby shower and I'll share that recipe when I'm done.


I did cook dinner last night. Tried a recipe I saw on Facebook. Why did all these recipes suddenly start showing up on Facebook? I had eaten something similar recently at one of our ukulele gigs that included a covered dish dinner. I will say that the church dinner version was better than this recipe. But this is good, too. 

It's just a basic weeknight dinner. Not fancy, but filling. I told Daddy-O that it contained cabbage, tomatoes, onion—THREE VEGETABLES—and a meat. It was a one dish dinner as far as I was concerned. I did add a piece of cheese toast, which kind of killed the "no carb" claim on the recipe. Sorry. (Recipe says 4 net carbs per serving.) 

FRIED CABBAGE with SAUSAGE

3-4 tablespoons butter
1 small head of cabbage, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 pound smoked sausage, sliced into rounds (I used turkey sausage)
1 (15-oz) can diced tomatoes (or Rotel--but I used regular diced)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Melt butter in a large skillet. Add cabbage and onion. Cook on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring to keep from sticking to pan. Add remaining ingredients, cover, lower heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.

Serves 8 (although we ate it all in two nights, since I made no side dishes)

UPDATE:  I'm so glad it was later tonight before I finished this post. We had the leftover cabbage & sausage for supper tonight. And it was even BETTER than last night! That means this recipe could be made ahead. Maybe make it in the morning and have it ready for supper that night. Or, even make it the night before you know you're going to have a really busy day and warm it up at supper time. Will make this again for sure.

3 comments:

  1. I may have to try the scarf. Where do you buy your needles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, I get them at A.C. Moore, my local yarn shop and I order them online from WEBS and Jimmy Beans Wool. Try the scarf! It's a fun pattern.

      Delete
  2. We were in Virginia when that cold front came through and you are correct ~ brrrrr! I'd packed only a fleece jacket and some fingerless mitts for the "cooler" weather. Your project is lovely and recipe yummy :D

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.