Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A Stitch A Day

 
 
Yarn: Berroco Comfort in Ballet Pink
Needles: size 8

I loved Aesop's Fables when I was a child. All of those stories about animals were fun. I read them over and over. And years later, I realized that I had been learning from those tales all along. I can't even pick a favorite, but one that comes to mind more than some is The Tortoise And The Hare. What I remember is that the one capable of the greater speed didn't win the race. The race was won by the slow tortoise, who kept steady at it.


I felt a bit like the tortoise this summer as I worked on the baby blanket. (Hurray! I'm done and the baby has not been born yet.) I did not have great spaces of time to work on this. I knew this when I started. But a blanket was needed.


I just knitted every tiny spare moment I could find. A few stitches before bedtime after the toys had been picked up. A nice way to wind down at night.


Several rounds early in the morning before the little ones woke up. A wonderful way to start the day. Knitting was my morning meditation.


I knitted at nap time. There were interruptions all along the way. Little hands tried to help. Little hands got into things that meant I had to stop and rescue someone or something. But I kept knitting.


After the little ones left for their new home, I still had more to go, so the blanket went with us to the lake. And in the glorious quiet there, I zipped through those last few rounds. I could have thought, "I don't have time to make this now" and no one would have argued. But knitting a little every day—and some days it was only a few stitches—WAS possible. Those stitches added up.


And this new baby, who will be here soon, has her blanket ready and waiting.





2 comments:

  1. Oh it is so beautiful and I love how you photographed your progress. You were so busy! I'm surprised you found the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have a blog post in mind when I made those photos. But then I realized I HAD photographed so much of it in progress and it sort of told a story.

      Thankfully the phone camera makes it easy now (probably too easy) to make photos.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.