Thursday, January 14, 2016

Cold Weather Hot Soup


I have realized that I can write. And I can "grandmother." But it's hard to do both at the same time. This week I'm in full out grandmother mode, so blogging has gone by the wayside. I've been at Mommy's house all week doing a little babysitting before the "big" babysitting starts today. For the rest of the week, it will be just me and Baby Girl here while the rest of that family goes to an out-of-town wedding.


When I arrived here on Sunday, Mommy was making soup for supper. This is a new-to-me recipe but one they love. Now I know why. It's rich and creamy, just right for a cold winter night. It is a copycat recipe from the chain restaurant, Le Madeleine. (There are many versions online if you google the recipe.) That's the restaurant where J-Daddy picked up supper each night while Baby Girl was in the hospital back in October. Mommy said she ate soup every night, not because it was the only good thing on their menu, but because it was good enough to order again and again. She says this soup recipe is not exactly like the restaurant soup, but it is equally good. Maybe better.


It makes a big pot full, so if you have a smaller household, you can divide it in half. We had enough for everyone here to have soup for supper with enough leftover for lunch the next day.

LE MADELEINE TOMATO SOUP

2 (28-oz) cans whole tomatoes
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 large bunch fresh basil (about 15 leaves)
1 stick butter, plus 2 tablespoon butter
1 cup heavy cream
salt & pepper to taste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
goat cheese for garnish

Add tomatoes and broth in a large stockpot and cook over medium high heat for 20 minutes to combine flavors and reduce liquid. Add the basil and puree with a stick blender, right in the pot. (You can do it in small batches in a regular blender if you don't have a stick blender.)

Add the stick of butter and cream and bring to a simmer. To thicken, using a fork, combine the 2 tablespoon butter (room temp) and 2 tablespoons flour in a small bowl. Stir into soup and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring until thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with a little goat cheese on the top.



Fingers crossed that this little person and I will have an uneventful few days!






6 comments:

  1. Soup is my favourite food. Especially in cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is delicious! What's your favorite kind?

      Delete
  2. Always in the market for a new tasty soup recipe. I made a big pot of vegetable soup after the holidays, and it got eaten in 2 days while the grands were here. I think I'm going to make the same recipe tomorrow but put some beef in it. Good Luck with the little one - she looks like a good eater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love some vegetable soup. But I seem to be the only one who loves it! And yes, she's a pretty good eater.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your babysitting time. Looks like she loves the soup! I made a pot of soup last weekend and there was enough for my full week of lunches. I plan to do it all over again this weekend! It's soup weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a really good one. (If I lived where you do, every day would be soup weather!)

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.