Monday, February 22, 2016

Beach Get Away

View from our porch

Our state is blessed with beautiful beaches. And it's a small state, so it doesn't take too long to get there even though we live on the other side of the state. And because we are in the deep South, it's not too very cold for much of the winter. A walk on the beach can be pleasant in February.

I just got home from our annual "girls' beach weekend." As always, it was good to catch up with these friends. We all see each other regularly at church, but those visits can be measured in minutes. Three days of non-stop chatter gives us time to really know what what has happened with each other during the last year.

While we were there, our "fearless leader" made the Blackbean Butternut Squash Chili for supper one night. That recipe continues to be a favorite. And it was a healthy supper to balance my restaurant meals of crab cakes, fried seafood platter, fried flounder (yes, I ate fried seafood twice—but I did skip the hushpuppies) and THE best butternut pound cake topped with homemade coconut ice cream.

Now it's time to do laundry, grocery shop, do a few chores, and get back in the groove at home. I'll catch up with you here in a couple of days.







6 comments:

  1. A girlfriends' vacation. How I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel lucky that they like me enough to include me!

      Delete
  2. What a dream it would be to walk on a beach in February! Good for you. Crab cakes, flounder and other seafood...yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gorgeous weather. The last day was warm enough that I didn't need a jacket at all.

      Delete
  3. I would have omitted the seafood and taken double on the hushpuppies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity I didn't think about that. Lee's Inlet Kitchen makes the best ones.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.