Thursday, January 19, 2017

Swiss-Style Brisket with Champagne Cheddar Grits

Swiss-Style Brisket with Champagne Cheddar Grits

I happened to see this recipe on Facebook a couple of weeks ago. A high school friend of mine and her sister both have quite a reputation as excellent cooks. The sister posted this one when she made it. She said she just makes up recipes as she goes. She told me her husband says they never eat the same dish twice! If you are not as creative in the kitchen as she is, here is one of her latest creations, shared with her permission.

Months ago, my crockpot had an accident (actually, it was Daddy-O who had the accident) and I meant to replace it but I hadn't slowed down to buy a new one until I saw this recipe. Yes. This recipe pushed me to order a new one right then! I made this brisket for supper last week when it was cold. (This weekend we are wearing flipflops.)

It's a recipe in the "good and easy" category. The only real prep was slicing the onion. I did that ahead and put it in a freezer ziploc bag so that Daddy-O could put everything in the crockpot while I was away. Use freezer bags for storing cut onion in the refrigerator. The freezer bags are vapor-proof and should keep your refrigerator from smelling like onions.

SWISS-STYLE BRISKET with CHAMPAGNE CHEDDAR GRITS

1 beef brisket (or any other roast--chuck works great)
salt, pepper, & garlic powder
1 jar Classico spaghetti sauce with Cabernet or portabella mushrooms
1 onion, sliced thin

Place beef, rubbed with salt, pepper and garlic powder, into crockpot. Cover with sliced onion. Pour spaghetti sauce over. Cook on HIGH for 6-8 hours. When fork tender, slice meat and place back into sauce while preparing grits.

Cheese Grits:
quick-cooking grits (the 5-minute kind—not instant)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup shredded Champagne Cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice)

Cook grits for 4 servings, according to package. Stir in garlic powder and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese melts. You can adjust the garlic powder and cheese amount to suit you.


I was not familiar with Champagne Cheddar cheese, but I happened to see it at Fresh Market the day before I planned to make this and decided to try it. If you don't have it, your regular cheddar will work just fine. But doesn't the recipe with "Champagne Cheddar grits" sound special?

If you live in a place where grits are a "foreign food," this would be delicious over mashed potatoes. If you like grits, but have never made them, let me give you a couple of tips. When you stir the grits into the boiling water, keep stirring as you pour the grits into the water. Don't dump them all in at once. That helps avoid lumps. I also like to cook them a little longer than the package states. I like mine thick. When I have time, I will turn the heat off, cover the pot and let them stand a couple of minutes before serving. If they get too thick, stir in a little warm water.

Thanks, Reida, for giving us a good busy-day supper idea.








2 comments:

  1. I'm Minneaota born and raised, but I love grits! Your meal sounds like comfort food to me. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know you can even find them up there!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.