Tuesday, February 5, 2019

A Cookie And Knitting Kind Of Weekend

Ginger cookies

I have no good explanation for why I came home exhausted from a knitting retreat. Knitting is not the most taxing physical activity. But I might have knitted more than I slept and talked more than I knitted. That may have contributed to my tiredness.


I also didn't make the best food choices this weekend from a health standpoint. But I made WONDERFUL choices from a taste standpoint. The snack table at this particular retreat is outstanding. Homemade cakes and cookies are mixed in with favorite packaged snacks. And if anyone is worried, there was also fruit and cheese. But I'll be honest...the cakes and cookies were my favorite.


For those who don't know what a knitting retreat is, let me assure you that it really is a knitting event. Much of what we learned comes from other knitters at the retreat who are ready with help if there is a question or a problem. And then there is the show and tell session. The above stack of knits is PART of the knitting completed by our 'baby knitter" (she was the youngest one there) since our retreat in August. She said she didn't knit during November and December. She is amazing in her productivity. And her workmanship is excellent.


Our weekend did include a group activity for those who wanted to participate. We all knitted a Frost Warning hat. The pattern was designed by our retreat leader for this event. (You can purchase the Frost Warning pattern on Ravelry if you'd like to make one. It's quick and easy. A great "first chart" pattern is you are new to chart knitting.)

But the most fun was learning to make faux fur pompoms. This was easier than I expected. The
"fur" circles were cut out on the screened porch of the camp where our retreat was held. It looked more like some kind of camp wildlife class than knitting class by the time we finished, with bits and pieces of "fur" on the floor. And "skins" laying out on the table.


Our knitting group—now more like knitting family—covered six decades of ages. Here we are wearing our finished (or nearly finished) hats. Looking forward to seeing them again.


These ginger cookies were my contribution to the snack table. Someone tasted them and said, "And I know this recipe is on your blog." But I have never posted this recipe. Taking care of that right now!

GINGER COOKIES

4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses (I used Grandma's Molasses Original)
3/4 cups sugar (for rolling)

In a medium bowl, stir together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening with an electric mixer on LOW speed for 30 seconds. Add the 2 cups sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.

Beat in eggs and molasses until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. (My KitchenAid handled all the flour.) Stir in any remaining flour mixture by hand.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in the 3/4 cp sugar. (A 1-inch cookie scoop makes this easy.) Place 1-1/2 inches apart on an uncreased baking sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 9 minutes, or until bottoms are lightly browned and tops are puffed. (DO NOT OVERBAKE)

Cook on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to wire rack and let cool. (I just put them on paper towels on the counter to cool.) 

Makes about 120 cookies


These are sturdy cookies which make them perfect for shipping. I sent them to Jessica when she was doing her study abroad in Italy. She was thrilled to get goodies from home and told me, "Mom, it's like Christmas in my mouth!" 

I like to store them in a cookie tin. It might just be me, but an old-fashioned tin seems to keep them fresh the best.


If you don't own a cookie scoop, this would be a good time to get one. It makes this much faster and the cookies are perfect circles after they bake. I measured this one and it's exactly 1-inch across. And no, you don't flatten them before baking. Several people asked.









2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good time. I think I would have had to try my share of the cakes and cookies, too. Fun to see all the hats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute hats! Eating and knitting - I guess I would have just been eating since I can't knit! Sounds like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.