Friday, February 15, 2019

After All The Valentine Candy

Marinated Chicken Thighs

Our little granddaughters arrived last night for a long weekend visit. We had a supper plan, but it was one of those weeks. So many crazy things kept changing my schedule and I never made it to the grocery store. I needed to make dinner from what was in the fridge. I sent a quick text to Jessica and asked her, "What can I make that's quick and easy with a pack of boneless, skinless chicken thighs?" She instantly sent back this recipe and said it was one of their favorites. 

Both daughters have been using some Whole 30 recipes and Jessica said this chicken was from one of her favorites sources of many delicious recipes. My version is NOT Whole 30 because I used my normal pantry ingredients. (Soy sauce instead of coconut aminos.) But it was delicious. And one of the easiest things I'm made in ages. 

I lined my pan with a double layer of foil to make clean up extra easy. 

MARINATED CHICKEN THIGHS
                      ....from Just Jessie B

1 package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice (or lemon or lime)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with heavy duty foil. (I used a double layer.)
Put all ingredients, except chicken, in a medium bowl and whisk to blend ingredients. Put chicken thighs into marinade and turn to coat. 
Cover and let chicken marinate for 30-60 minutes. (I put it back in the refrigerator for about an hour until I was ready to cook.)
Put chicken on foil-lined baking sheet and roast for 40-45 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown and crisp.


For a side dish, I pulled out every vegetable I had on hand and made a pan of oven roasted vegetables--green beans, carrots, red pepper, potatoes. It was an easy meal and one well suited to follow a day of Valentine parties at school. 

We are not following the Whole 30 plan but I think some of those low-sugar, no-processed-foods recipes might be good to add to my menu plans. I'm all about balance. 

Hats off to Mommy who works to develop good eating habits in her children. So far they have only looked at their Valentine candy. They have guessed what the flavors might be. They studied the shapes. They have talked about when they might eat one. Neither had ever had a heart shaped box fo candy. How much fun I've had watching them NOT eat this rare treat. It's been more like entertainment for them than a goodie. Way to go Mommy!






2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I like the combo of the marinade ingredients you have listed... and I have them on hand! Yea. Enjoy your weekend with the littles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like my next dinner, I'm always up for easy.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.