Monday, March 9, 2020

Go Make Something


Pattern: Perfect Newborn Socks
Yarn: Iknit2purl2
Needles: size 1

In my last couple of days helping out with new baby last week, I knitted her another tiny pair of socks, making them slightly bigger to fit her growing foot size. These should last at least a month or two. She is growing like the proverbial weed. If you are a sock knitter, these are delightful to make. And the socks actually stay on baby's feet. The pattern is free on Ravelry. What a fun way to use up leftover bits of yarn. I used less than 10g of yarn to make a pair. Or, you can splurge and buy a luxury yarn to make them—and knit a zillion pairs!

I can easily knit a pair in a couple of days. In a couple of busy days. Your knitting speed might be faster or slower than mine, but it's a quick project for anyone.



Right after I headed home, a package for the baby arrived from a dear friend. It contained the most beautiful handmade quilt. The backing fabric has paper dolls on it! Jessica framed a set of vintage Betsy McCall paper dolls I rescued from my dad's house when we cleaned it out to sell after he passed away. They now hang on a nursery wall. How perfect that Missy remembered and found fabric to echo our treasure. Now the baby has another treasure—a quilt made just for her.

When Jessica posted 2 month photos last week, with baby posed on the quilt, she wrote this sweet sentiment:
I come from a long line of makers. Artists, craftsmen, growers of food, knitters and those who sew, amazing cooks, you name it. My mother is proof that a maker’s tribe most often includes others who are the same...and we are grateful to be included in that circle! Thank you for your time and craft, Missy — our baby girl loves her quilt. 🖤
I love that she uses the words "tribe" and "circle." Life is better when we belong and feel included and we are loved. And I love that my friends have pulled my children and grandchildren into that circle.

And this gorgeous knitted blanket arrived in the mail just days after the baby was born. Linda, a long time family friend, used colors that matched the nursery. And she wisely knit this blanket in cotton. A perfect choice for a Southern baby where heat and humidity are legendary.

Jessica posted this blanket to her social media, too:
More handcrafted love for our baby girl from our world of maker friends.

Yes. Jessica is right. We come from a long line of makers. My grandmother hand monogrammed linens. My dad did so much woodworking that we still use and enjoy. I sewed so many clothes for our own two little girls, hand smocking many of them. Those dresses are still in use by this new generation. Both of Jessica's grandmothers were excellent cooks. My older daughter is a maker of music and sang the most beautiful lullaby to this baby on her first visit. Jessica is an artist by profession. Years of study have left us with so many of her projects here at home—handmade books, prints that hang all around our house, and that infamous cardboard sculpture that still lives in "her" bedroom. Yes, we are makers.


Before I left for home, Jessica cast on a baby hat to knit. She's made one before and wanted to make one for a friend. There is something that is immensely human about making something by hand. Now, Jessica and I both can hit the "place order" button with the best of them. But creating something by hand is particularly satisfying. It's as good for the one making as it is for the one on the receiving end.

So go. Make something. Make supper. Make amends. Make time. Makes cookies. Make a mess. Make noise. Make friends. Make peace. Make the world a better place.







1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post and good reminder that making something by hand is good medicine. You just inspired me to finish a handmade book project that has been languishing on my craft table for quite some time. Darling socks too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.