Monday, June 6, 2011

Food, Glorious Food



Food as far as the eye can see.

I've heard Garrison Keillor on Prairie Home Companion talk often about Lutheran church dinners. I grew up in a Baptist church so I know there are some seriously good cooks there. And in my other life as a ukulele player, I've eaten at more covered dish dinners in the last few years than maybe anyone in the upstate. So I consider myself a qualified "covered dish dinner judge." My own Methodist church ranks right up at the top of the list. We were happy yesterday to have 70 people join us for lunch as they start their week of volunteering with Salkahatchie, a home repair project.


Granddaddy was happy to be the baby keeper during much of the morning. One of the sweetest moments was when he was showing off the baby to a friend who has four grandchildren. While they were talking, Baby Sister looked the gentleman over carefully and then reached out with one tiny finger and delicately touched his moustache (which looks much like her grandfather's.) It was like she was thinking, "I know what you are--you're a granddaddy."


Mommy brought this slaw to add to the feast. It's a great recipe for cookouts, picnics, etc. It's very simple to make, easy to double if you need more, and people always ask for the recipe.

Crunchy Coleslaw

1 bag of broccoli slaw mix ( 12-14 oz. maybe?)
1 package Ramen noodles (Oriental flavor)
1 small bag slivered almonds, toasted
1/2 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons cider vinegar

Combine oil, seasoning packet from noodles, sugar and vinegar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir into slaw mix and almonds. (You can toast almonds in toaster oven at 350 degrees for 3-4 minutes. Watch closely; they burn easily.) Place in refrigerator until cold, or overnight.

Just before serving, break noodles into slaw and stir.

Funny story...with all the food being brought into the very busy kitchen, the little bag of noodles for this recipe got separated from the slaw mixture. Making a good (but wrong) guess, someone stirred the noodles into another dish. Mommy's coleslaw was still good, just not as crunchy.

Tip: If you are carrying this dish to a dinner, tape the bag of noodles to the lid on the dish.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.