Monday, June 15, 2020

Blue Cheese Dressing Two Ways

BLUE CHEESE DRESSING

At the lake last weekend I made Daddy-O a treat. He loves a wedge salad and often orders one when we go out to eat. It's not something I ever make at home. Of course, the best part about wedge salad is the blue cheese salad dressing. I have bought the bottled version a few times. They were barely acceptable. So this time I decided to find a recipe and make it.

There are a zillion recipes floating around out there in cyberspace. But I wanted an easy one. The recipe with the fewest ingredients. And mercy, this could not have been any more simple. And it far exceeded our expectations. Why on earth have I not been doing this for years? The leftover dressing made a good dip for celery sticks the next day.

BLUE CHEESE DRESSING

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
2-oz blue cheese crumbles (I used 1/2 of a 5-oz container)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
pinch fine sea salt
pinch ground black pepper
water, to thin it (optional)

Blend all ingredients until well combined. Use the back of the spoon to mash some of the blue cheese into the dressing. This consistency makes a good dip. For pouring onto a salad, thin with a little water.


Now...I am on a mission to lose some extra "pandemic pounds," so that rich, luscious dressing was not going on my salad. And glory be, SkinnyTaste has a "skinny" version on her website. I didn't have exactly what her recipe calls for, so I made do with what I had at the lake. Here is her recipe along with my substitutions. 

SKINNY BLUE CHEESE DRESSING

1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
6-oz fat-free Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon light mayonnaise (I used regular)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (I used all lemon juice)
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste

Mix all until well blended.  I made my substitutions and just eyeballed the amounts to make a single serving.


Did this taste like the dressing Daddy-O ate? No. Was it good? Yes! He even said if he had not tasted his, he would have been perfectly happy with this one. I will be using both of these recipes from now on.








1 comment:

  1. Wow. Win.win.win. My husband loves wedge salad, blue cheese and celery. We"re having this tonight. Chloe

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.