Friday, June 12, 2020

PSA: Check Your Freezer


 
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: If you stocked up on foods at the beginning of the quarantine, now is a good time to take stock of what is in your freezer. Make sure you are using up foods before you buy more of the same thing. Like I'm guilty of doing. Yes, it happens.

I was making my online grocery order this morning and took a minute to go see what was in the freezer. And promptly took a couple of items out of my cart. 

While you're at it, check the dates of the refrigerator items that have a long shelf life, like smoked sausage, packaged deli meats, sour cream, ricotta, cheese, etc. Nothing lasts forever. And it is painful to find something pushed to the back of the fridge and see that the date ran out two weeks ago. Rearrange them and pull the nearest dates to the front. Shuffle your meals plans a little to use them up.

You can find a freezer storage chart here that tells you the optimum time for freezer storage. Be sure to date the prepared foods that you freeze. It's probably a good idea to print this out and keep it handy.

Happy weekend! Stay safe, people.








1 comment:

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.