Monday, January 11, 2021

Retro Recipe — And It's Still A Good One

Salmon Loaf


When my daughters were in elementary school there were only a few recipes that they both loved. Now, they pretty well ate whatever I cooked. But typically one daughter would really like something while the other tolerated it. Thankfully there were a few things that got a big thumbs up from both of them. This recipe—and it still surprises me to this day—was a favorite. (In full disclosure, they probably liked salmon patties even more, but this baked dish is easier and healthier.) 

And lucky for me, it was quick to stir up. I could mix it up in the morning and put it in the refrigerator until dinner time. The ingredients are pantry staples. There is always a can or two of salmon here.  (I'm still maintaining a robust pantry. The virus numbers here are out the roof and I'm not shopping any more than necessary.) I don't use the stuffing mix as much as I did back then, but happily I had some left from the holiday cooking. And mayonnaise and eggs are basics.

I started out years ago making this in a small loaf pan, but then figured out we liked it better baked in a pie plate. More "crust" that way. It's been some time since I made this. I'm happy that this reliable old recipe surfaced again. We always served the salmon loaf with peas and mashed potatoes. Worked out well that I had half a bag of potatoes that needed to be cooked sooner rather than later. Tonight's dinner was like a step back in time. 


SALMON LOAF

1 (16-oz.) can of salmon, with liquid

1/2 cup Pepperidge Farm Herb stuffing mix

1 egg

1/4 teaspoon instant minced onion (I just give it a few shakes)

1/2 cup mayonnaise


Put salmon (with liquid) and remaining ingredients in a bowl.  Mix thoroughly.  Place in a greased pie plate or small loaf pan.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

Serves 6.




I like to remove most of the icky black skin and take out the bones. When I realized that if I "unfolded" the salmon, the spine bones were intact and came out easily. My now grown daughters taught me something recently. They like to buy canned salmon that is skinless and boneless. And they don't have to do any of that. I didn't know skinless/boneless was a thing. I've done it for so many years, it doesn't bother me. But if the "ick" factor is high for you, look for the kind of salmon my daughters buy. 



My week of "holiday" eating turned into several weeks. That happens. But I'm getting back in gear. If you count points, this recipe is 5 Purple Points. I make mashed potatoes with only a tablespoon or so of butter for the whole pot and I use low-fat milk, so I calculated that my entire supper was 7 points. 









4 comments:

  1. Easy peasy - we like salmon. Thanks for the recipe. I like the idea of no bones, no skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to giggle at this...i have 3 kids who are in their early 20’s and it is their favorite comfort food. We love it!!!!

    My recipe is essentially the same except i use cracker crumbs instead of dressing mis, and i use a can of mushroom soup instead of mayo. I cant wait to try your recipe!

    My mother made up a little dipping sauce recipe for the salmon....a mixture of melted butter, mayo, tiny bit of yellow mustard and some dried dill weed. Oh my!! So good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the sauce idea! And have a friend who asked about a gluten free version. She probably could find suitable crackers.

      Delete
  3. I was thinking about making a Salmon loaf, this is brilliant, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.