Saturday, June 29, 2024

To Cook Or Not To Cook...That Is My Question

Garlic Parmesan Chicken Pasta Bake


I'm getting lazier and lazier about cooking. But eating out brings it's own set of things I don't always want to do—getting dressed, driving to town, waiting on the food, etc. It can take longer to go out for dinner than cooking. So last week I tried a new recipe minutes after announcing I wan't cooking dinner. Cooking seemed to be the lesser effort.

The recipe was good enough that we ate it for two nights, then packed up the last bit and took it to the lake for a quick meal down there. We are getting the lake place ready for family that will head this way in a couple of days.


I found the recipe online—actually its found me. It popped up as I was browsing the 'net. You can check out the original recipe at Bowl Me Over. She has good notes about how she made it. This falls in the comfort food category. 

As I often do, my version of this recipe was based on what I had on hand. I plan to make it again sometime and actually try it as it was written. I'll give you the recipe I found, then tell you how I changed it. I've realize as I'm trying to learn improv on the piano, I've been doing improv in the kitchen for years!

GARLIC PARMESAN CHICKEN PASTA BAKE

1-lb rotini pasta, cooked and drained (save a cup of pasta water)
3 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
2-15 oz jars Alfredo sauce
1 cup garlic parmesan sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 375ยบ. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
While rotini is cooking, mix chicken, Alfredo sauce, garlic parmesan sauce, and half the mozzarella and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked and drained pasta, adding some of the saved water if needed. You want it creamy.
Pour mixture in to baking dish. Top with the remaining cheeses.
Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 20-35 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. 
You can broil it for 2-3 minutes to brown the top--but be careful not to burn!
Remove pasta from oven and let rest, covered with foil, for 5 minutes before serving. 


As I typed this recipe out, I realized how much I improvised. I knew I was changing some ingredients because I had to. But I failed to read the part about covering the dish with foil before I baked it! When will I ever learn to read ALL of the recipe!!! Nevertheless, it was good. It would have been a little creamier if I had covered it. Next time I'll know.

Okay. Here are my variations: 
  • I had cooked, cut up chicken breasts in the freezer. I thawed them in the microwave while the pasta was cooking.  
  • I only used one jar of Alfredo and one jar of garlic parmesan Alfredo sauce.
  • The recipe calls for 1 cup of garlic parmesan sauce. Next time I will look for that near the salad dressing and bbq sauces. Evidently it's condiment used for wings.
  • I added 1/2 cup pasta water since I didn't have the extra cup of sauce. 
  • Since I only had 2 cups of chicken, I added some frozen peas. They were okay, but not sure I would had them again. 
  • I only had one cup of mozzarella so I used that and plus one cup of cheddar. 

Because I had cooked chicken in the freezer, this was just a dump it all together and mix recipe. So quick. You could also use rotisserie chicken. Next time I will find the garlic parmesan sauce. An extra cup of sauce would make it nice and creamy. Mine was getting close to being dry. More sauce. Use the foil. Both of those things would have helped.

I think this is a dish my younger grandchildren would like...chicken, pasta, cheesy sauce. Now that you've read how much I changed things up, go try your own variations. If I had found any broccoli in the refrigerator I might have added cooked, chopped broccoli to the dish instead of peas. Like many recipes, it's just a starting place. Make it your own!

We will have family here for the next couple of weeks. Doubt I'll post again for a while. 


UPDATE: When I was at the lake last week, I shopped at a large grocery store nearby. I found the parmesan garlic sauce this recipe actually calls for! It's a sauce for wings. Can't wait to try it again and see if it makes much difference.







2 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope you at least have time to read your Comments. Love this recipe (and I just put left over cooked broccoli in the fridge last night). My husband loves cheese and chicken, maybe he will put up with pasta and broccoli (I usually substitute rice). On another note, last week’s America’s Got Talent made me think of you. There was a soprano sax player whose audition piece I could have listened to all night. Only Howie Mandell agreed. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?? At least they recognized his talent (and virtuosity) and gave him a chance to come back and pick a composition that was more familiar to their bubblegum audience. Thanks for the Soap Box. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chloe, I always have time to read comments! Even if it’s a few days before I see them. While shopping at a big grocery store close to the lake I found the garlic Parmesan sauce. On the shelf with all the other sauces. Will try this recipe again and use that. Pretty sure it’s good either way. ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.