Friday, February 24, 2017

Do You Know What A "Sercy" Is?


This week as I have moved off the sofa and out the door, I stopped by the post office on a round of errands and mailed a couple of small packages to friends. Just a little surprise.

In college that little surprise gift was called a "sercy." I didn't know that word until my freshman year. And I'm still not sure how you spell it. I never saw it written down. But I'd hear a shriek of delight every now and then, "Oh, I got a sercy!" Or, even better, I'd hear, "I brought you a little sercy from my vacation." Yes. It's fun to be on the receiving end. 

A sercy is just a small gift—even a tiny one—given for no particular reason. No special occasion. Not given as a thank you or a get well gift. Just an unexpected little treat. It might be a favorite candy bar. Or, maybe a jar of pepper jelly picked up at a farm stand. Last year I got a jar of sorghum when I met up with a friend at a knitting retreat. Perfect sercy for me! It certainly doesn't have to be edible. It might be a cute notepad or even some fun socks.

Now, my question for you today is about the word itself. It might be spelled some other way--any way you can do it phonetically seems to be acceptable. But I'm wondering if the word is purely a Southern thing. If you do a google search for the word, one site you'll find is this one from the Georgia Gardener. One of the replies to his post included this:
I’m from NJ and my first thought when I received a sercy was “OK, so what do they want from me?” Nothing is the answer; it’s a no-strings-attached, feel good gesture to give one just to make someone smile. I love the South.
Or, maybe you have a similar tradition with a different name. Tell me. And maybe this week, we'll all give a sercy to someone who might least expect it.






8 comments:

  1. Funny you should post this after I gave mini pumpkin breads to each of my ceramics teachers last night. They do so much for us and I wanted to show my appreciation. They loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well i cant wait for the replies...i have never heard of a sercy and i have live in ky my whole life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The linked article seems to be limited to SC, NC and Georgia. I'm curious to see if it's really that local. But I didn't know the word until college.

      Delete
  3. I have never heard the term, but it sounds like a fun one to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of figured that the word "sercy" had not made it as far north as you are. Maybe you can start a new trend!

      Delete
  4. I have never heard the word "sercy" but the tradition was planted in me by my mother. She believed in "just because" gifts - small items that showed a person she was thinking of them. I like to carry on her tradition and my best friend does, too. An unexpected gift is the best kind, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to think the word is truly a regional thing. I imagine the concept is broader than the word. But I do love telling someone "I brought you a sercy." :-)

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.