Sunday, January 25, 2015

January Is For Catching Up

 Teriyaki Beef with Pineapple
 
January is such a good month. The holiday madness is behind us. Not too many things on the calendar right now. For me, January is almost a month of hibernation. A chance to unclutter, to tidy up, to catch up on things left undone. I got to finish a couple of books I started ages ago. Delivered my sister's birhtday present—only three weeks late!

These knitting projects have haunted me by hanging around a long time. The watermelon socks sat unfinished for several months. And the baby socks? They were started over two years ago! It feels so good to have them done now.

Not sure when I will have this much time to stay home most days and knit, cook, read, or just do nothing in particular. Pure pleasure.

 Pattern:  8-Stitches Per Inch Sock by Ann Budd
Yarn: Abi Grasso Watermelon Self-Striping Sock Yarn with Seeds
Needles: size 2

 Pattern: Jeannee Baby/Toddler Socks
Yarn: Katia Mississippi 3-Print
Needles: size 3

I feel better now about starting some new projects. And I'm doing my best to use yarn that I already have here. It's what knitters call "stash." My stash isn't nearly as large as some have. But there is enough here to keep me knitting for quite a while. And while I'm at it, I'm also trying to use up things from the pantry.

During the holidays I tend to buy extras "just in case." Now, I'm choosing recipes to use up those extras. Like this favorite recipe of ours. It is the very easiest recipe to make. It's also very delicious. And the leftovers freezer beautifully for an easy dinner later. What more could you ask?


TERIYAKI BEEF with PINEAPPLE

2—2-1/2 lbs stew beef
15-20 oz. jar Teriyaki sauce (I like Archer Farms Teriyaki grilling sauce)
20-oz. can pineapple tidbits, drained

Put beef in slow cooker. (I used a 3-1/2 qt. size cooker)
Pour sauce over beef and stir.
Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 5-6 hours.
Add pineapple during last 20-30 minutes of cooking.

Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.