Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Sometimes Procrastination Pays


Continuing on with my quest to finish up the "left undone" things around here, I finally picked up a pair of socks that have needed mending for over a year. These were not ignored because I didn't want to bother. They were ignored because I didn't know HOW to mend them. Who darns socks anymore?


But my family seems to think I can fix anything. Well, that's not exactly true, but what I can do exceptionally well is search and find exactly the information I need. So from time to time I would search YouTube for "how to darn a sock." I watched several different ways to do it. I already knew about the old way where you just weave in a patch. But that gives you a woven patch in a knitted sock. Yes, it would eliminate the hole and you could wear it, but it just didn't look good.


My procrastination, along with persistence, paid off. About a year later I found one more video from KNITfreedom. Not sure how I missed this earlier. Liat Gat demonstrated a fairly simple way to basically reknit the missing stitches.


So on a Monday morning, I figured it was time to give it a try. It was awkward, but not the most difficult thing I've done. It took me a little over an hour. Much faster than knitting another sock, which I had actually considered since I had yarn left. Having the leftover yarn let me match the yarn to the spot with the hole.


The verdict? I don't think anyone would notice the repair unless they were looking for it. The video demonstration repaired a "hole" that was perfectly square and nicely situated in the middle of a flat piece of stockinette. They made a hole for demonstration purposes. This was a "real hole" that was right at the heel flap and the picked up stitches of the gusset. Not so easy to follow her method in this particular spot. So I just did the best I could.

It was nice to learn something new and be reasonably successful with it. The big test will be when Jessica wears it again. See all of those yarn pieces sticking out on both sides of the mend? They all had to be worked in on the wrong side. Extra thickness. Extra bumps. Hope she doesn't have overly sensitive feet!


PS...If you are not a knitter, hold on. Recipes coming later this week!

2 comments:

  1. Haha I love that you call this "fairly simple." It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are used to picking up dropped stitches and weaving in ends, it really was kind of simple.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.