Monday, August 1, 2016

Our Camp Cafe


One of our camp days was Cafe Day. Little Sister, Jessica and I got dressed up and we went to lunch in the city. The food there is always good. But the food in our own "cafe" was just as good. Little Sister had made a menu for her own cafe at her house before she came. Her mommy printed out menus for her pretend cafe. But at Camp Mimi, we made the cafe come to life.


We made one of her entrees for dinner on our last camp night. Little Sister and her entire family love salmon patties. When my own girls were little, this was one of the few recipes that both of them loved. It was always a hit with them. And it still is for this new crop of little girls.


There are many ways to make salmon patties, but this is how I do it. It's easy. It's reliable. The only downside is frying them makes a bit of a mess. So this is an occasional treat for us.


Jessica discovered that her friends were more likely to eat "salmon cakes" than "salmon patties." Whatever you call them, they're delicious.

SALMON PATTIES

1 (14-3/4-oz) can pink salmon*, skin & bones removed
2/3 cup Bisquick
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 egg
oil for frying

Drain salmon and remove skin and bones. (At least, I like to do this.) Stir in Bisquick, egg and onion. Drop large spoonfuls into hot oil and flatten slightly. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels

Makes 8-10 patties


*If you are careful when you tip the salmon out of the can, you can find the backbone all in one piece and take it out easily. You can also use 2 smaller cans of boneless, skinless salmon. That's what both of my daughters do to keep from putting their hands in the salmon!




4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Brings back fond memories for me. Officer Friendly was the salmon patty maker in our house. I did most of the cooking, but there were three things he liked to make and did them well and that included salmon patties. He didn't make the smiley faces on the plate though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had several smiley face suppers during camp week! :-)

      Delete
  2. My husband's mother makes Salmon Patties and I have always enjoyed hers but have never made them myself. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angela, Welcome! The salmon mixture is really soft when you spoon it into the pan. When it's cooked, it is much more "solid." That, combined with the brown color is how I know they are done. Hope they come close to your mother-in-law's version.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.