Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Don't Want To Cook? Me, Either

Cabbage Casserole

While I was recuperating a couple of weeks ago, I watched "Austin Powers" for the umpteenth time. (Don't judge. I was sick.) There's a whole lot of "lost my mojo" stuff that goes on in that silly movie. And this week, while I am better, I still feel like I've lost my mojo—my kitchen mojo that is. I simply cannot think of anything to cook. If we had plenty of restaurant options nearby, I might give myself a cooking vacation and eat out or order lots of take-out. You know that's just not an option when you live in a rural area like we do. But we still need dinner.

So today I looked back at my own recipe index. You can find that tab right above the blog post. And Cabbage Casserole caught my eye. I have not made it in two years. It's a one dish meal. Check off "easy." ✓ It's one I know we like. Check off "tasty." ✓ It has cabbage, onion and tomato juice in it. Check off "vegetables." ✓  We needed vegetables.

Ready for the oven

It took me not much more than 15 minutes to have it ready for the oven. If you are "knife challenged" (I'm looking at you, daughters!) I had the thought that you might could use a large bag of slaw mix and skip the cabbage chopping part. What do you think?

We will have enough for supper tomorrow night. Since I have handbell practice at 6:00 pm, that means we can eat as soon as I get home. This recipe tastes much like stuffed cabbage but it is WAY easier to make. I'll be honest. The name is about as un-glamorous as it gets. If the word "casserole" is a turn off, call it something else. But sometimes all we ask for is a good supper. This fills the bill.


CABBAGE CASSEROLE

1/2 head of cabbage (medium-size), finely chopped
salt
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup diced onion
1 lb. lean ground beef, browned
salt & pepper
1-1/2 cups tomato juice
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread half of cabbage in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with salt. (Don't be too skimpy.) Add rice, onion and ground beef in layers over cabbage. Spread remaining cabbage over top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour tomato juice over all. 
Cover dish with foil. Bake for 1-1/2 hours, or until done. Let stand, covered, a few minutes after you remove it from the oven. 



So, we've eaten dinner now. Would I serve this to company? Maybe not. It might depend on who the company was. Will I make it again? For sure. It's just a good weeknight meal. And on a dreary Tuesday night, that's all we ask for.





8 comments:

  1. I like the flavors of stuffed cabbage and top it with a can of sauerkraut. Wonder if it would work with this casserole. I enjoy using the packaged slaw mix both for soups and casseroles.

    I made the Noble Pig avacado and 3 bean salad to get more veggies. It was not as pretty as their picture, but the taste was excellent. I would just use less cilantro next time.

    Hope you feel better soon and the dry spell in the kitchen passes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling fine now---just kind of don't want to cook. The freezer is pretty much emptied out. So I need to get myself in the kitchen and start cooking and hope the desire to cook follows the act of doing.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. We would be such friends if we lived near each other!

      Delete
  3. You know how quickly a person can have thought go through their head, right? I laughed when I read your bit about "knife challenged" I was sure you were including me with my cast on. Then I read that you meant your daughters and smiled because you were giving them a helpful hint to still make the dish without chopping. Anyway, I admit to being kinfe challenged for at least another month+ because of the cast and then therapy, so it' chopped veg for me and it's okay. I have decided that eating salads and veggies are important enough to buy the bags of chopped veg and there are lots of choices. Your recipe should delicious and even though you were thinking of your daughters, the knife challenged thing made my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of my job when I worked as a home economist was learning about adaptive skills for physical limitations. At this point, I don't remember too many, but I'll bet there are YouTube videos for kitchen hacks for working with one hand. And aren't we thankful for pre-chopped veggies? I don't use them often, but they do have their place.

      Delete
  4. Jealous that I live near a Whole Foods where you can buy pre-chopped everything? Ha! I do think I can handle a cabbage. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Slightly jealous. And I didn't mean to underestimate your skills. :-)

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.