Monday, August 14, 2017

S E V E N


This weekend we celebrated Little Sister's birthday. Somehow, in the blink of an eye, she changed from a tiny new baby weighing less than five pounds into a seven year old who just started first grade. Celebrating her birth is also a celebration of this blog. The blog didn't start until a few months after she was born, but it started because of her.

I was her "baby keeper" for many months. If you've ever kept a new baby, you know there are long days—precious ones, for sure—but long days spent with a tiny person who mostly sleeps and isn't much of a conversationalist. She came very early, so the doctor advised keeping her away from crowds for a few months to let her immune system catch up. So we stayed home. Alone.


These were the months when I learned to knit a sock. I made the most adventurous gorgeous knitted hood for Jessica that had cables and ribbing and seams and a placket and buttonholes. Goodness knows I had plenty of time to learn new techniques while this tiny baby slept nearby.

Somewhere along the way I learned about blogs. I had joked for a while that if I could ever come up with a title for a blog I would write one.  My one outing while being the baby keeper was my ukulele band. I was the director of a senior adult ukulele band that played across the upstate. I was also the one who booked the gigs. Gigs. Grandmother. Ha! I love alliteration. And The Grandmother Gig was born.

This blog has been my journal, my recipe box, my photo book. My record of what happens in our family and in my life. Of course, it doesn't include everything that happens. I write when I have time. And it does not include every recipe I cook. Sometimes even good ones don't make it here. But it has provided space for record keeping.

My grandmothering role has changed over these seven years. That sweet family has lived in two more states since Little Sister was born. Then the family grew when Baby Girl came along. I am no longer the full-time grandmother like I was in the beginning, but there are plenty of "grandmother gigs" on my calendar.

Today, back at home I plan to go back to the beginning of this blog and see how Little Sister has grown. And next time I'm there I know the little girls would love to look at those photos. I know I'll find reminders of funny things I have forgotten. I'll see recipes that I need to make again. (Don't forget there is a Recipe Index tab at the top of the blog.) I'll read comments from you, dear readers, you readers who have become friends.


So Happy Birthday, Little Sister. Our sweet girl who loves music and dancing, who is kind of heart, who is a list maker like her mommy, and who has a smile that lights up the room. We love you!








10 comments:

  1. Thank you for summarizing the back story for those of us who came late to the party. (Like me. I only found your blog a couple of months ago.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Little Sister and happy seven years of blogging! How fun to read how you came up with the name of your blog! All that quiet time, knitting or not, while you tended to the tiny version of the birthday must make you smile to know how things have turned out! You're a good Gram!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome, KathyG. I'm glad you found your way here. And like my southern family used to say, "Y'all come back now!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodnightgram, seven years have flown by, even though there were some long days in there. I must say that when I'm there now, there are NO quiet days! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always a pleasure to sit back and red your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy, I do appreciate that. Especially coming from an excellent blogger like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you started blogging those 7 years ago. Our friendship and the Grandmothergig have enriched my life so much! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have inspired me once again! Your blog for grandmother record keeping? Well i get to join in the fun! I found out last Sunday that i get my turn at grandmothering April 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Missy, thank you for sharing recipes with me and then letting me share them here. I still have a couple that I've yet to post! Yes, I'm glad we found each other in the great big knitting world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Janie! How exciting! Welcome to the "grandmother club."

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.