Friday, August 25, 2017

Tiny Break — Big Benefit


Pattern:  Coastal Walk by Joji Locatelli
Yarn:  Rowan Softyak DK, in Cream colorway
Needles:  size 7

There are times in my life when I look at a newly finished knitting project and wonder how and when I managed to make it. This is one of those times. Life around here is always busy. But it feels like we are going even faster at the moment. Daddy-O has the big livestock show this weekend. I'll miss it completely because I'm heading to Mommy's house for a bridal tea. We have a big project going on at the lake that needs attention. My car is in the shop and needs to be picked up today. There have been church commitments on the calendar. That's only this week. It's been like this all summer. All good things. But they have filled our calendar.


When life gets crazy—more crazy than usual—knitting at least a row or two each day helps me settle. In my mind and in my spirit. Knitting is not something I have to do. But it truly is something I enjoy doing. And after knitting a row here and a row there, all of a sudden (well, that's how it feels to me) there is a new shawl in my hands. 

This particular pattern is a crescent shaped lace shawl. With a modern asymmetrical border. I love the simple twist on a classic shape. It feels less like a "grandmother shawl" and more like an up-to-date accessory. It was my first time using this yarn, Rowan Softyak. It's a blend of cotton and yak. If you've knitted with cotton yarn, it usually has a hard hand. But the addition of the yak fiber makes it much softer. It had much more "squish" than I expected. I'd love to use this again for another project.


When your schedule is getting out of hand, make time for whatever gives you pleasure. It might be reading a book...or a short poem if a book is too long. Maybe you'd rather take a walk. Go outside and walk once around your house if there isn't time for going further. I also love to sit down at the piano and play something. Often it's only one verse of a hymn. It is entirely possible that cleaning out a single drawer could give you a mental break. You know what works for you.

Taking care of yourself lets you take better care of others. Yes, there might not be time for a few days away. Or, even a few hours for a project. But I can find a minute or two for what I love. I highly recommend it. Those minutes are going to pass anyway. Might as well let them add up to something purposeful. Let me know what you like to do when you have a spare two minutes.


For the record, "Joji' is pronounced "Ho Hee." She is a designer from Argentina. Thank you to the podcasters out there who are better traveled and more knowledgable than I am. I'm happy that I have heard her mentioned more than once. Because otherwise, I'm sure I'd pronounce her name just like it looks to me. 






4 comments:

  1. You are knitting up quite a beautiful shawl collection! I'm a fan of yak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodnightgram, someone asked me today how many shawls I own now. It's not as many as you might think. Many go to other folks when they're done. But I do love having choices. I am beginning to have a color for every outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing wrong with that! I'm in favor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got a talent!! What a blessing to be able to knit something like this. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.