Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Easy Cheeseburger Pie

Impossible Cheeseburger Pie

I am nearly back to the pre-wedding Mimi. The one with plenty of energy and an endless to do list. But it's taken some extra rest to get there. Trying to save energy last week and eliminate extra trips to the store, I did my grocery shopping when I was on the way home from Little Sister's piano recital. The farm is miles from a grocery store, so stopping at one before I got home made sense. I bought the basics without much of a meal plan.

Here is a recipe I made at the end of last week. When I had cooked the other meats I bought, and I was down to the package of ground beef, I wasn't sure what to make. Spaghetti is easy. Tacos are easy. But we may have overdone those two dishes lately. And then I remembered a recipe we enjoyed years ago. It's so easy. And it's delicious in that comfort food way.

Years and years ago when I was a stay-at-home mom with small children, I joined the Bisquick Club. Yes. There was such a thing. For a tiny fee, I got a monthly newsletter with endless ways to use Bisquick. Remember, this was pre-internet. Pre-Pinetrest. Impossible pies were in many of those newsletters. ("Impossible" because it makes its own crust from a simple batter.) There are so many impossible pies and I've made many of them. But not any of them for a long time.

I checked the pantry and I had an onion and a box of Bisquick. There was milk in the refrigerator, but it had been there since before the wedding. It was questionable. So I opted for a small can of evaporated milk...1/2 cup evaporated milk + 1/2 cup water = 1 cup whole milk. I keep a couple of cans on hand for just such emergencies. And there is always cheese in the refrigerator.



Keep this recipe in mind for a simple supper on a busy day. I think I need to look up all those other "impossible pies" now. I whipped this up in no time. Then it took 25 minutes in the oven. And then while it cooled, I turn the oven temp up a bit and roasted asparagus. 

IMPOSSIBLE CHEESEBURGER PIE

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt (or House Seasoning)
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Bisquick mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9 or 10-inch pie plate with PAM.

Brown ground beef and onion, breaking up beef as it browns until there is no pink left. Drain. Salt. Spread in pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese.

Put milk, eggs and Bisquick in a blender and blend for several seconds until completely mixed. (If you don't have a blender, put everything in a small bowl and stir briskly with a fork or whisk until well blended.) Pour over ingredients in pie plate.

Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. (If it's browning too quickly, cover loosely with a sheet of foil.) Let stand for 10-15 minutes after baking for easier cutting.

For our second helping, we put a dollop of mustard and ketchup on the side for dipping. Yum.



Now...I'm working on menus for the holiday weekend. Any suggestions that are easy and make enough to feed 10?








2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I remember impossible pies! Haven't heard about them or thought about them in ages. Yours looks fabulous. I'll bet you were tired after all that went into the wedding... before, during, and after! Chilli Mac 'n Cheese for 10? or Load Your Own Potaotes? (Bake the spuds and supply the fixings for loading)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the potato idea is a good one! Why didn't I think about that? Our church just did that for a Sunday lunch instead of a covered dish where everyone brings a dish. It was good and easy.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.